nerys

Bug in slicer engine or healing engine?

I found a bug. its pretty reproduceable.

I also think I figured out the initiation of the cause of the bug.

I do "complex vase mode" prints. in fact 99% of my prints are vase mode.

I can do complex shapes and multiple surfaces in vase mode by judicially placing "cuts" in the model both total and partial.

SO say you want to print a cylinder in vase mode that has a thickness say 75mm cyl with 4mm walls. normally this can't work as you have two unique surfaces. the INSIDE surface and the "outside" surface. well if I place a near 0 dimensional (0.01mm) "CUT" through the cylinder wall I have now LINKED the inside and outside surfaces into a single continuous surface that is now vase mode compliant.

won't be too strong though. so I ALSO place "cut" on the inside (or outside) surface toward the other surface but NOT ALL THE WAY. since S3D used outside edge for pathing all I have to do is cut into the wall and make sure the cut is 2x nozzle diameter from the other surface. this permits s3d slice pathing to correcting path this operation. basically print part of the cylinder wall then go outward but not quite all the way turn around and come back. this forms a "rib" put in enough of these ribs and you have a shockingly light and strong cylinder that is vase mode compliant.

make the ribs a SPIRAL cut and it gets crazy strong and stuff for very little mass!!

anyway. sometimes s3d just BUTCHERS the slice. little sections of wall "out of place" sometimes these are minor and can be ignored. sometimes just ROTATING the model is enough for the slice engine to "see" that section differently and go around the bug so to speak. otherwise it just butchers it like here (the print worked but was pretty nasty)

Well I figured out what is pissing off s3d (btw slicing it in prusa slicer zero defects I am not sure if prusa slicer is correcting an issue better or just not freaking out about an issue)

SO I fixed it in s3d. I "scaled down" that fin set for a small fuselage and smaller print volume Well that 0.01mm "cut" to make that rib also SHRANK as I shrank the model. its still their but tinkercad now reports it as having 0 width (ie smaller than 0.01 the limits of its display resolution) Prusa correctly still see's the slit (which can technically be any dimension even 0.0001 to remain compliant) but it seems this near 0 dimension pisses off the s3d engine just a wee bit and it throws a fit and does this.

I went back in and thickned the "cut" back to 0.01 and resaved and s3d sliced fine. Problem is there are some models where I can't "adjust" for s3d's needs. so stuck with those unless this can be fixed.

If you need stl or factor or gcode let me know. not "world ending" problem since I do have a sort of work around for it though it does it in other places I can not explain and can't work around those not to this extent usually.
Clipboard01222.jpg
Clipboard0111.jpg

Return to “Troubleshooting and Bug Reports”