swood333

V5 Infill Internal/External angle offsets?

In version 5, I can no longer find the dialog for Internal/External infill offsets. Am I missing something? If they have been replaced with a newer feature can someone please shed some light on it? If they have been dropped can we please bring them back? The internal fill offset function was especially beneficial for reducing print times and reducing infill with out sacrificing strength by setting multiple angular infill directions. such as setting the fill to 10% but then setting the fill angles to 45,0,90,-45. This would result in the internal pattern touching the perimeters as much as a 40% infill but the print time and material usage would be greatly reduced.
S3D-Jason

Re: V5 Infill Internal/External angle offsets?

You can still edit the angle of the pattern - it's called "Internal Pattern Rotation" on the Infill tab. For example, if the rectilinear pattern in V4 used to say -45 and +45 deg for the angles, you will get those exact same angles if you enter a zero degree pattern rotation in V5. If you entered a 15 degree rotation you would get -30 and +60 degrees.
zemlin

So this is an improvement because it used to simply display the angles - now you need to know the starting point for the selected pattern and do the math?
S3D-Jason

I think a lot of users look at the preview, know that they need to rotate the pattern a little to the right (maybe to align with the long axis of the part), and then they want to open their process settings to make that change. In the past, if you were using something like the Triangular infill pattern you would have to double click on 3 different angles and increment each one of them by exactly 10 degrees to avoid messing up the pattern. To -60, 0, 60 becomes -50, 10, 70. Now you can just type +10 into the rotation angle and be done. So at least for that use case I would think the new approach is simpler.
gearsawe

Yes the new process is simpler.
Just reduce the a feature a little. had client who want more of diamond patterns and not squares for a model infill where there was no top and bottom layers. Was easy to do just set to grid and have angles set to 30 and -30. no way to do that now.

See why was done as 99.999% I would usually use the default angle. But now no way to do any crazy custom angles.
Kaylor

zemlin wrote: Fri Dec 16, 2022 4:42 pm So this is an improvement because it used to simply display the angles - now you need to know the starting point for the selected pattern and do the math?
In some cases this can be nice, but it's not a straight improvement. They removed the ability for custom infill angles. If I wanted to do rectilinear with -45, 0, +45, I can no longer do this. I used to twist the wiggle infill every layer by 90 degrees every layer which would result in a really nice brick pattern, I can no longer do that. If you have a complex part and need to adjust infill angles per layer, you can no longer do it. That was the whole point of custom infill angles, but now you're restricted to the standard angles, which rotate on a standard/90 degree rotation only. Rectilinear infill is now rotated 90 degrees, every single layer, no exceptions, which is a loss of a feature and a big problem for some people who made use of this. Yeah, you can adjust the initial infill angle of the first layer, and the subsequent layers will follow suit, but that's completely different from a list of custom infill angles. You could also specify whether to print your custom angles on every single layer or not, which is also gone with the removal of custom infill angles. We need these setting back.
gearsawe

+1 to bring back define "custom angle pattern" rather than the default being a 90deg offset from the one angle we define now.
I find myself needing the original from v4 more. Cura has this custom option, I feel like the new way in v5 got degraded a bit unhappy with this choice.
scobob

+2 This was a great feature and is still present in Cura. Please return the feature please!
Johnm

In CURA you can specify infill as one direction and the next layer have the infill print in another direction. or whatever you like. It is pretty simple to use. I hope they add back something like this to Simplify3D. Overall I like the interface, and supports are sooo much easier to remove in Simplify3D over CURA.
fythios

I am going to throw my hat in here and also request that this feature from v4 be brought back into v5. Being able to specify custom angle is needed sometimes based on part geometry you want a a specific angle for infill.

Return to “Feature Requests”