KOPrinting

Cubic Infill Over Extruding

I've noticed with several of my prints that the Cubic infill causes over extrusion at the "Anchor" points where it links with the perimeters. I've tried reducing the Outline overlap and the infill extrusion percentage but the issue persists.

Curious if anyone else has noticed it?
Attachments
Cubic Over extrusion.jpg
arhi

Re: Cubic Infill Over Extruding

that solid layer looks overextruded too
gcodestat integrates with Simplify3D and allow you to
Calculate print time accurately (acceleration, max speed, junction deviation all taken into consideration)
Embed M117 codes into G-Code
Upload your G-Code directly to Octoprint
open source and unlicence
slackwilson

Might be related to the bug I have seen with cubic infill

viewtopic.php?t=17067
KOPrinting

slackwilson wrote: Wed Mar 22, 2023 8:05 pm Might be related to the bug I have seen with cubic infill

viewtopic.php?t=17067
Very interesting. Definitely over extruding for some reason.
slackwilson

KOPrinting wrote: Very interesting. Definitely over extruding for some reason.
I agree, your pic of it clearly shows it happening, and it makes sense that's what I am seeing as well, just over-extruding and bulging out the finished surface.

I'm surprised more people haven't noticed it and posted, mind you I think the userbase might be dwindliing, I have been a die-hard S3D user since I bought it in March 2015 so 8 years now.. but even I've started to dip my toe into the water with the free slicers now.

I still like the interface of S3D and ease of use, but man things like this after having to pay extra to get V5 (I thought in 2015 it was marketed as pay once all upgrades included for life but maybe I remember wrong?) sure make it hard to keep loving S3D :(
KOPrinting

arhi wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2023 12:07 pm that solid layer looks overextruded too
What makes you say that?
arhi

KOPrinting wrote: Tue Mar 28, 2023 3:57 pm
What makes you say that?
I can not be 100% sure, look at the image, between every two middle of lines you have spill between them that is higher than the line made by the flat part of the nozzle. See how light reflects on it and how uneven it is. It is not overextruded "a bit" it is overextruded a lot.
The image can lie!! I might be seeing it wrong, the part that look to me as squeeze between the lines could actually be "hollow" and uneven wavy (in the Z) might be the actual line extruded that is not flatten because nozzle was too high so it is actually severely underextruded. From the single picture I can't be 100% sure ... but I would go with overextruded because looking at the single layer of infill lines I see that infill lines look wider than the flat of your nozzle (as they are wavy on the edges) ... whatever it is I think you need to redo your profile from begining

as I said, can't be 100% sure from the images but look e.g. the circled areas this all is issue, either your nozzle is too high or your flow rate is too high or your trying to print line wider than your nozzle can handle or ... whatever it is, I am pretty sure it is far from perfect and IMO before you start solving any other issue you need to solve three main issues

1. first layer must be perfect
2. three wall empty print must be perfect (print cube, 5-10mm high, empty, no top, only 3 perimeters), walls need to be fused so you cannot push a shaving blade between them, but cannot flow one over another.
3. top layer must be perfect (print solid 5mm high 20x20mm cube and solid layer must be perfect - no ridges, no holes, everything need to be perfectly flat and touching

cheap usb microscope is enough to make this test properly but even a decent mobile phone camera will do

only after these 3 are solved you can move forward and check/test everything else
gcodestat integrates with Simplify3D and allow you to
Calculate print time accurately (acceleration, max speed, junction deviation all taken into consideration)
Embed M117 codes into G-Code
Upload your G-Code directly to Octoprint
open source and unlicence
KOPrinting

arhi wrote: Tue Mar 28, 2023 5:28 pm
KOPrinting wrote: Tue Mar 28, 2023 3:57 pm
What makes you say that?
I can not be 100% sure, look at the image, between every two middle of lines you have spill between them that is higher than the line made by the flat part of the nozzle. See how light reflects on it and how uneven it is. It is not overextruded "a bit" it is overextruded a lot.
The image can lie!! I might be seeing it wrong, the part that look to me as squeeze between the lines could actually be "hollow" and uneven wavy (in the Z) might be the actual line extruded that is not flatten because nozzle was too high so it is actually severely underextruded. From the single picture I can't be 100% sure ... but I would go with overextruded because looking at the single layer of infill lines I see that infill lines look wider than the flat of your nozzle (as they are wavy on the edges) ... whatever it is I think you need to redo your profile from begining

as I said, can't be 100% sure from the images but look e.g. the circled areas this all is issue, either your nozzle is too high or your flow rate is too high or your trying to print line wider than your nozzle can handle or ... whatever it is, I am pretty sure it is far from perfect and IMO before you start solving any other issue you need to solve three main issues

1. first layer must be perfect
2. three wall empty print must be perfect (print cube, 5-10mm high, empty, no top, only 3 perimeters), walls need to be fused so you cannot push a shaving blade between them, but cannot flow one over another.
3. top layer must be perfect (print solid 5mm high 20x20mm cube and solid layer must be perfect - no ridges, no holes, everything need to be perfectly flat and touching

cheap usb microscope is enough to make this test properly but even a decent mobile phone camera will do

only after these 3 are solved you can move forward and check/test everything else
Appreciate the suggestions!

Return to “Troubleshooting and Bug Reports”