mehrwiedu

switch off part cooling fan for inactive extruder

I'm surprised if an IDEX has a separate PWM part cooling fan for each extruder that I can't assign them to the individual mode for the single extruder. Both P0 and P1 are always controlled in the GCode.

In single extruder mode, I don't always want the part cooling fan of the inactive extruder to be activated. How can I adjust that if I want to accommodate all extruder modes in one profile? Or do I really have to create a separate profile for each mode?
S3D-Jason

Re: switch off part cooling fan for inactive extruder

In Simplify3D V5 you can now define multiple fans and control each one independently. However, you need to make sure your printer supports that behavior first. On some machines, the M106 command always turns on ALL fans and there is no way to turn on only one of them.
mehrwiedu

Thanks for the answer which is already in my question. I would like to know how to associate the respective tools with the corresponding fan. This is exactly what doesn't seem to work. Only both are addressed in the GCode. It is an IDEX profile with auto-configuration for extruders for each mode. Left, Right, Dual, Mirror and Copy. A GCode generated for the left extruder will automatically include the P1 fan in the GCode and not just the P0 fan as I would expect.

Bildschirm­foto 2023-03-30 um 20.10.43.png
Bildschirm­foto 2023-03-30 um 20.11.26.png
Bildschirm­foto 2023-03-30 um 20.10.22.png
mehrwiedu

Ok, one possibility at this point is to set the respective fan of the inactive extruder to 0% from the first layer. But that can't be the solution, because the setting works "globally" for all auto-configuration for extruders settings in the profile.
If I forget to change the settings again in Dual, Duplicate or Mirror mode, the corresponding part cooling fan remains off in this mode as well.

So there should be a way to explicitly assign the fans to a tool and then have them controlled by auto-configuration if it is recognized that only one extruder is being addressed with the IDEX.

I don't create the profile so that I have to change such settings every time for a different mode. Then I can build a separate profile for each mode.
S3D-Jason

mehrwiedu wrote: Thu Mar 30, 2023 2:18 pm A GCode generated for the left extruder will automatically include the P1 fan in the GCode and not just the P0 fan as I would expect.
In that case, click the "..." button beside Save As New, choose "Assign settings to categories", and then search for "fan speed setpoints". You can assign that setting to the same auto-configure group that controls your extruder modes. Save the settings, then change to the left extruder configuration and remove all the set points for the P1 fan (or just include a single setpoint that turns it to zero on layer 1). Repeat as desired for the other modes.

Return to “Troubleshooting and Bug Reports”