CreatorX

[Solved] First layer height not match with Simplify3D V5 selection ?

Bonjour,
Question about the first print layer in Simplify3D V5 :
With my printer (Raise3D Pro2) ,the leveling of the plate must be done with a wedge or a sheet of paper at 0.2 mm : this is the 0 position of the printer.
I want a first layer of 0.15 mm in height and it' ok in Simplify GCODE (please see attached images)

My question is :
in fact my first layer is at a height of 0.2+0.15= 0.35 mm !!?
I set the print bed closest to 0 instead of 0.2 and the first layer print was successful

Is it normal ?
Whith my old Flashforge printer, Simplify4 and same bed levelling (0.2 mm) Everything seemed to work

Thank you

FirstLayer1.JPG
Attachments
FirstLayer2.JPG
Last edited by CreatorX on Sat May 13, 2023 7:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
S3D-Jason

Re: First layer height not match with Simplify3D V5 selection ?

If you change the first layer height to an absolute value of 0.15mm, it will only extrude enough material to fill a 0.15mm tall layer.

If you actually want to create a 0.35mm thick layer, then you should set the first layer absolute height to 0.35mm and use the global Z-axis offset on the Output tab instead to adjust for the 0.2mm thick sheet of paper leveling. Enter a value of -0.2mm for the global Z-axis offset and it should shift the Z coordinates downward, but still extrude the correct amount of plastic.
CreatorX

Re: First layer height not match with Simplify3D V5 selection ?

Thank you for this quick answer !
It is true that there was no absolute option whith my old printer and symplify4 !!
With my old printer I adjusted the first layer in percentage for a result of 0.15 mm.
This means that in reality my first layer should be at 0.35 mm but with a sufficient amount of extrusion... ?

I hope I understood correctly :
- If i want to use "absolute" first layer : 0.35 mm , I have to modify the global Z-axis offset on the Output tab at -0.2 (see attached images) to adjust for the 0.2mm thick sheet of paper leveling. The extruder will deliver the correct amount of plastic
- If I want to use "percentage" first layer to obtain 0.35 mm and the Z setting in the "output" tab is still -0.2, will it extrude too much plastic ?

I'm sorry but it's a bit complicated for me in English :roll: :)

FirstLayer3.JPG

Return to “General Discussion and Tips”