nerys

Re: Any idea why its splitting up the layers like this?

(speed, flow rate, spacing, etc), then those regions need to be printed separately from the regular solid fill. Otherwise you would be extruding at 200 mm/s, 100% flow, but then expected to immediately slow down to 50 mm/s and potentially 120% flow in the same movement. The flow and speed cannot change this quickly, so the solution is to print these regions separately with the exact settings that you specify.

NO that is not the solution. the solution is for the software to PRINT that layer as one monolithic component and for it to IGNORE the settings that tell it NOT TO. that is the correct solution.

and no. it is not "we should change the settings" the coders "ALTERED" the behaviour of the software did not tell us this. we now have to "GUESS" why the software is behaving differently in a way it has never done before...... think about that for a moment.

first. there is zero reason for this "feature" to exist. it serve no valid function and "breaks" the software and second if there is a reason IT SHOULD ALERT the user hey this is going to cause a conflict. do you want to change this? and TELL the user what to change.

IF IT DOES have a place the software should be SMART enough to selectively apply the settings so as not to break the model.
S3D-Jason

nerys wrote: Tue May 30, 2023 2:32 pm first. there is zero reason for this "feature" to exist.
You are certainly welcome to your opinion, but I can tell you that it was actually an extremely popular request from our customers to be able to print the top layers with different speed, flow rate, spacings, and so forth. There were many users that requested this exact change.

The change only takes place for the exposed topmost layer. Most profiles have 3 or more top solid layers by default. This means that there would be 2 or more completely uniform solid layers before the topmost layer where the change would occur. This should provide plenty of support for the topmost layer so that it is not printing in air. I see that your factory file had zero top solid layers for several of the processes, so that could be part of the reason why we are seeing different results.

I don't see any other details above about the solid diaphragm issue you mentioned, so perhaps you can create a separate thread about that issue.
nerys

the issue is not seperate speed for expose top layers. the issue is the software deciding that a top layer is not a single part and therefore splitting it apart. this is not an opinion. this is a fact. I have not given you my opinion. I stated a fact. you can't print in mid air. the software should be smart enough to avoid this. if you have a top layer that is partially exposed then the software should pick ONE OR THE OTHER not "split it"

IE the feature had unintended side effects. the SIDE EFFECTS are the issue. not the feature.
nerys

BTW for those experiencing this flaw. you may also have to change SOLID INFILL SPEED to be 100% as well. I set top layer to 100% but I was still getting split layers. I changed solid fill to 100% and that fixed it.
gearsawe

nerys wrote: Fri Jun 02, 2023 6:20 pm BTW for those experiencing this flaw. you may also have to change SOLID INFILL SPEED to be 100% as well. I set top layer to 100% but I was still getting split layers. I changed solid fill to 100% and that fixed it.
Thank you Nerys. I thought had all my speeds the same! in my settings guess the top speed was 50% unknowingly and explains why it was taking longer to print in 5.02 vs 5.1 . Now we know this was intended but I could not understand way at the time. makes a little sense now. never like the unconstructive help either.
to be clear just make these two the same
Simplify3D_YNP3DLSWjp.png
"happy printing"
nerys

yep and worse they fundimentally changed how the software works AND THEN did not change how those settings "default" they should default to 100% (although maybe they do if you make a new profile??? I have not checked)

Either way its dumb and it being intentional means its a flaw not a bug. the problem is not giving people the ability to change top layer speed the problem is the software deciding a top layer is not a top layer any more. now we have this NEW thing no one asked for "exposed" top layer and its not even marked as such.

Return to “Troubleshooting and Bug Reports”