zemlin

Extra Restart Distance doesn't change as a group variable

I have 17 processes in a group. 10 of those processes share the same Extra Restart Distance setting. I have all 17 layers grouped. Changing the Extra Restart Distance in one of the 10 with the common setting does not change all of the 10 layers. It does in V4. I have to go into all 10 layers and set it individually.
zemlin

Re: Extra Restart Distance doesn't change as a group variable

Factory File Attached with no part geometry. No part needed to replicate the issue.
Layers X.1, X.3 and Sleeve all have the same Extra Restart setting.
As grouped, changing one does not change all.
Attachments
V5 Extra Restart.factory
(90.51 KiB) Downloaded 37 times
S3D-Jason

In V5, the setting must be the same across all the grouped processes if you want to change it once and have it apply to all processes.

If only a subset of the processes have the same setting, then you would need to group just those processes to make the change once and have it be applied everywhere.

If you ever need to verify which settings are the same across all of the grouped processes, click the "..." button to the right of Save As New and choose Highlight settings based on > "Compare to other grouped processes". That will highlight any settings that are not the same between ALL of the grouped processes.
zemlin

What issue is this change supposed to address? This really sucks for me, as all the other settings in all the processes are the same, so if I want to change any other process parameters I'll be grouping and ungrouping different sets of processes in order to make simple changes. The V4 functionality worked well for me.
S3D-Jason

Many customers were confused about how things worked in V4. For example, if you have 5 grouped processes and you changed a setting in one of them, you had no idea if it was changing that value in 1, 2, 3, or more processes.

Now in V5, you can use the highlighting option I mentioned above to confirm exactly which settings are different between your processes, and anytime you change a value you know exactly what processes will be modified.
gearsawe

see this was my complaint back then. to have it change the text to red for instance to indicates a setting which was no longer linked. once all setting where the same it would show as black.

still a little confusing as things might match up as you are adjusting them and get link when you don't want them to.
nerys

a possibly better solution would be to change it anyway different or not and ASK the user.

you are changing "X" but not all processes in the group are the same. do you wish to change anyway making them all the same or cancel and let the user decide.

Return to “Troubleshooting and Bug Reports”