nerys

NO retraction during INFILL ??

How do I make the slicer retract when depositing infill extrusions? it won't retract which adds strings when it moves and "damages" layers of retraction (not solid since part of the expected plastic had ooozed during travel movements)

for most models this does not matter but for some models I am using the infill as "PART" of the model and it looks like crap :-)

How do I fix that? how do I make it retract when it should while depositing infill patterns?
gearsawe

Re: NO retraction during INFILL ??

in the advance do you have "Only retract when crossing open spaces"

post factory file if you need more help
nerys

no that option is not selected. I took a shot at that even though its not actually open space at all. (its infill so its solid space)

Here is the factory file. look at second process that's the "infill" part (the rest of vase mode) basically every "travel move" you see inside the infill? there is no retraction occuring. and since this infill is "exposed" it destroys it. when it travels it oozes so now there is no plastic in the nozzle when it "starts" a new infill section and it takes a bit for plastic to start extruding again. not good for SI or optics :-(

I figure there has to be some simple setting I am missing? why would it NOT retract in infill? sure its hidden but it compromises SI even if it is hidden.
Attachments
Thump.factory
(165.58 KiB) Downloaded 82 times
nerys

anyone have any idea how to force proper retractions while printing infill? I have other models I want to make using the infill as part of the model and this quirk is ruining them (the larger the model the worse it gets)
S3D-Jason

Looking through a few layers of your factory file preview, I see several retractions already in the infill. Can you include some screenshots and perhaps tell us the specific layer and line number where you see the problem?

It would also be much easier if you could demonstrate the problem with a more simplified part, since I bet 90% of this part doesn't really matter to what you are describing.
nerys

sure that should be easy. drop a cube into simplify just a straight simple cube say 100x100x10mm rotate it 45' so its like a diamond on the print bed. or use a circle or any other shape.

now print it with 15% Grid infill 2 perimeters no top no bottom.

it won't "retract" during those travel moves. I am not sure why.

I am going to create a blank profile and start fresh. maybe I have some oddball setting picked somewhere from some other project interfering. I have had that happen before.
parallyze

nerys wrote: Tue Jun 20, 2023 11:06 pm I figure there has to be some simple setting I am missing? why would it NOT retract in infill?
nerys wrote: it won't "retract" during those travel moves. I am not sure why.
I didn't upgrade to v5, so I can't open the factory file and look at it inside S3D. But you might want to double check your
retraction settings. Guessing from the XML files you're not having a problem when retracting, you're having problems
after the travel move, when plastic starts to flow again.
a.JPG
Process #2 is set to a extraRestartDistance of 0.5mm (!)

Using a 0.4mm extrusionWidth and 0.3mm layerHeight that's roughly the amount of material extruded it'd take for
a ~10mm perimeter just right after the travel move...

Return to “Troubleshooting and Bug Reports”