amhelms

Losing Communication to Davinci 1.0 with Repetier

I am able to communicate to my Davinci 1.0 w/ Repetier firmware but only for a few moments and then it just stops working. The communication is intermittent. I have the baud rate set to 115200 both in the EEPROM and in Simplify3D. Repetier-Host can communicate without issue.

Under Firmware Configuration, I have:
Select Profile set to RepRap
All G/M codes are the same as they were in Repetier Host
Wait for startup command UNCHECKED
Serial Acknowledge OK
Comment Character ;
Allow command buffering CHECKED and 202 bytes (same as I have in Repetier Host)
Communication Timeout CHECKED and 5 seconds.

In Machine Control Panel, I select the correct COM port, set the baud rate, have verbose checked. When I click connect, it says attempting connection followed by connected to machine. Everything seems to work! I send some commands, it responds. I do some G28s and some G0s and turn on and off the bed and extruder and then suddenly it doesnt respond to any commands anymore. If I disconnect and reconnect, it does the same behavior. I also don't get a temperature back when it auto sends M105.

I have tried a few different USB ports and that doesn't matter.

I have reflashed Repetier and that too doesn't matter.

Any ideas?
habloIngles

Re: Losing Communication to Davinci 1.0 with Repetier

Odd, I have a da vinci running Repetier firmware and I can connect to it and do everything just fine. I'm running os x yosemite.
wdtr

i'm having the same problem as you with the simplify 3d 2.2.1 it connects to printer, but will only function for a short time. then it seems the software locks up.
because if i disconnect the controller, and reconnect, the printer functions again for a short period. I'm wondering if it has something to do with the .092 (most recent) firmware installed on my printer.
Would like to be able to just plug in and go. gets old saving in this software, then running it from repetier.I get good prints though. Might be the settings also, I too have the same setup as you for connecting.

Running on windows 7 pro
JoeJ

You probably aren't using the right flow control mode. Go to Tools --> Firmware Configuration and then click the Communication tab. Set the flow control to "Hardware flow control". That makes the connection much more reliable with my da Vinci running Repetier (and S3D support also recommends this).
falterx

JoeJ wrote:You probably aren't using the right flow control mode. Go to Tools --> Firmware Configuration and then click the Communication tab. Set the flow control to "Hardware flow control". That makes the connection much more reliable with my da Vinci running Repetier (and S3D support also recommends this).
I created my account just to say this solved my problem on OSX Mavericks (10.10). Thanks, JoeJ!
baxman1970

I just purchased simplify3D and I really like it. I am, however, having this same exact issue but it was not fixed by changing the flow control.
Any other suggestions? I am able to print it using Repetier but I would prefer to print it using simplify3D.

Thanks
ABSolutely

baxman1970 wrote:I just purchased simplify3D and I really like it. I am, however, having this same exact issue but it was not fixed by changing the flow control.
Any other suggestions? I am able to print it using Repetier but I would prefer to print it using simplify3D.

Thanks
In the simplify Firmware communication panel, in addition to flow control, set the timeout to 90 seconds and the cache size to a value that reflects amount of memory you want to allocate (depends on your machine's amt of memory). I have 16gig so I set mine to 1023 (one less than 1024).

My DaVinci has Repetier 0.92 firmware.
JoeJ

The cache size needs to be set based on the PRINTER'S available serial input buffer. On most boards like Arduino/RAMPS/etc, this is usually only 127 bytes. I doubt your printer's electronics have a 16GB serial buffer...
ABSolutely

LOL :oops: What was I thinking... (the computer's ram of course...). Still, I set it to 1023 early this year, forgot about it and never had a problem. The important thing for me that solved disconnection was the Timeout - especially early-on when I had very large .stl files from CNC work... Reducing the stl teslation reduced the file size significantly without reduction in print quality.
erikayblue

falterx wrote:
JoeJ wrote:You probably aren't using the right flow control mode. Go to Tools --> Firmware Configuration and then click the Communication tab. Set the flow control to "Hardware flow control". That makes the connection much more reliable with my da Vinci running Repetier (and S3D support also recommends this).
I created my account just to say this solved my problem on OSX Mavericks (10.10). Thanks, JoeJ!
YAY! This finally solved my problem too. Thanks!

Return to “Troubleshooting and Bug Reports”