dennisjm

Re: More options for stronger infill.

curious aardvark wrote:
This weak infill is my biggest issue with s3d.
Yep there are lots of threads already on alternate infill patterns. It's one of the reasons I still have to go slice models in other software sometimes. +1 for a massive infill overhaul.

- need adjustable bottom layer pattern/layers/speed
- alternate infill patterns
- adjustable infill top patterns/layers/speed
- others I'm forgetting?

I have all these very large parts that I could print with like 1% infill IF:
- I could just tell it to print an alternate angle the first bottom layer. You can do that with processes but when my parts have little extrusions mid print it becomes unmanageable and very error prone.
AK_Eric

Just another +1 for stronger infill / different pattern options. Having used Makerware's hexagonal infill for years, I could stand on those parts without damaging them (well, I'm theorizing here, never tried it). S3Ds infill I can crush with my hand.
Bots:
Makerbot Replicator 2x / Sailfish on Mightyboard
Custom C-Bot / RepRap Firmware on RADDS
Custom Tevo Little Monster / RepRap Firmware on Duet
jimc

This is a very popular request and has been requested since i started using s3d a year and a half ago. Nothing has happened yet which makes me think its not real high on the priority list. In the mean time if you havent played with the new infill width setting in 2.2, it does work fantastic to make every layer bond solid with the one under it so be sure random infill placement is turned off then bump up the infill width to 175% or so. The infill should be extremely strong and a really solid grid when its done.
joealarson

Well count my +1.

How do I +1 a post here?
laird

At a bare minimum S3D should add hex infill, since it's the strongest/most efficient fill pattern.

For extra credit, it'd be great to make infill *better* than what other slicers do. Specifically, I think that rather than a regular mesh pattern, it should be possible to make support structures more effective by generating them reflecting the functional goal of infill (supporting 'top' surfaces, making the part stronger) and optimize for the structure of the part. For example:

- If the infill is supporting a top surface. then it could be more dense right below that surface, and less dense the rest of the time. This would be very similar to the external support, and for the same reason. Imagine, for example, how much material you would save if you could print a large part with 10% fill for most of the body, and a 25% or 50% infill for the top few levels, so the top printed smoothly. Right now, to get a large smooth top surface, you need to use multiple solid top layers, and a fairly high infill, which uses a lot more plastic.
- If the infill is providing structural support, perhaps an approach as discussed at http://garyhodgson.com/reprap/2012/01/t ... lgorithms/ could minimize material consumed on the 'inside' while maximizing support provided at the surface?
AK_Eric

Wanted to add I've finally gotten stronger supports out of S3d by setting the “Infill Extrusion Width” from it’s 100% default to 200%. This has the side-effect of ‘scaling up’ the infill overall (including its width), so you need to similarly increase the infill % itself to match. For example, if you had 10% infill before, you’d need to set it to 20%. But by doing this, the overlapping infill is now much stronger: The box on the right I can easily crush with my fingers. But on the left, no way. On a side note (and a bit of a tangent from the thread), I'm perplexed as to why the infill isn't drawing out to the inner shell: I had the overlap set at 50%, but it's almost like it's creating an "inner shell" around the infill.
But I'd still request more infill patterns, including hexagonal.
Bots:
jimc

exactly! that infill on the left is solid and super strong. i think what you are seeing there where it appears to be missing and or adding a perimeter wall to the infill is really just from the pattern of how the extruder moves. since it doesnt stop and start at the end of each line you get perimeters in one area and not in others. i think this is better than having none at all and doing 1000's of retracts and moves at the end of each infill line.
AK_Eric

lol: I'd read your post above jimc but didn't "get it" at the time. Guess I came to the same conclusion on my own after fiddling enough ;)
Bots:
turbocharged110

I still think increasing extrusion width for infill to make stronger parts is a crutch and that better infill patterns is an absolute must for the long term. My absolute favorite is Kisslicer's rounded infill...it's not quite as strong as true hex, but close and WAY faster to print.

I haven't been blown away with S3D yet, but am holding out for some improvements an this is a BIG one.
Printer: Rostock Max w/ E3D V5 hotend and lots of upgrades/modifications
laird

AK_Erik, that looks like it makes a huge difference. I have a lot of trouble with infill from S3D being too thin compared to other slicers, causing the infill to be weak or even break up unless I slow it down. Doubling the infill width looks like it makes it easier to print as well as stronger. You rock!

Return to “Feature Requests”