PhilPhilippe

About custom supports

Hi,
Where can I find options for 'Custom supports shapes' as described in what's new in version 5 ?
Thank's
Attachments
custom.jpg
PhilPhilippe

Re: About custom supports

Hi,
Why this post is not again visible ?
Is it possible to approve it ?
Thank's
PhilPhilippe

Nobody can answer ? Simplify3d support team ?
TheBum

It isn't there in the software as of yet. At least, I haven't found it.
parallyze

PhilPhilippe wrote:Nobody can answer ? Simplify3d support team ?
If you need to contact support I'd recommend reading the sticky posts how to contact S3D. Otherwise you simply might
have to wait until somebody answers, it's a user/community based forum.

TheBum wrote: It isn't there in the software as of yet. At least, I haven't found it.

Right click -> Model type -> Custom support

viewtopic.php?p=62973#p62973
TheBum

Another example of the developers being too damned lazy to create official documentation for this app. It's inexcusable that WE'RE PAYING FOR this laziness.

I find this feature to be mostly useless unless the app provides a way to create such a custom support model. Are there any other apps that can generate those files?
parallyze

TheBum wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2024 2:50 pm Another example of the developers being too damned lazy to create official documentation for this app. It's inexcusable that WE'RE PAYING FOR this laziness.
Hmm.. can't say much about this, didn't "upgrade" to v5.

TheBum wrote: I find this feature to be mostly useless unless the app provides a way to create such a custom support model. Are there any other apps that can generate those files?
Uhm... you still do have regular support structures in S3D v5. So why would you need to add the editing capabilities for custom support
into the slicer? That's done when designing the part in CAD/CAM/whatever.... you can use custom support structures in other slicers, they
also don't offer all the editing capabilities (modifiers in Cura/PrusaSlicer for example).

What's the point of using a custom support structure feature if you're unable to provide a custom support structure?

I don't think this feature is useless, it's quite interesting. That way you can design your own supports just as required right away when
designing the parts, all in the same software. Export two bodies, import to S3D, set one to custom supports and you're done.

Another way would be using "MeshMixer". It offered tree supports ages ago and you can set up the parameters (separation height etc.)
in MeshMixer. Afterwards you can export the tree support-structure. It's freely available, just like 10+ years of tutorials for it...
TheBum

parallyze wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2024 3:53 pmAnother way would be using "MeshMixer". It offered tree supports ages ago and you can set up the parameters (separation height etc.)
in MeshMixer. Afterwards you can export the tree support-structure. It's freely available, just like 10+ years of tutorials for it...
MeshMixer hasn't worked on the Mac in a year or more. According to the available information, it's not even being maintained anymore on any platform. AutoDesk is in the process of rolling some of its features into Fusion.
parallyze

TheBum wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2024 11:48 pm MeshMixer hasn't worked on the Mac in a year or more. According to the available information, it's not even being maintained anymore on any platform. AutoDesk is in the process of rolling some of its features into Fusion.
MeshMixer was an example:
https://www.dictionary.com/browse/example

So let me ask again:
parallyze wrote: What's the point of using a custom support structure feature if you're unable to provide a custom support structure?
Custom Support Shapes can be imported, models can be set accordingly. You don't have any custom support structures to use,
so what are you actually trying to argue about?!

If you want tree/organic supports, look for feature requests already asking for it. If you want to use custom support structures but don't
know how to build them - what's the point of posting this within a thread of how to access the feature?

Return to “General Discussion and Tips”