JFettig

Rafts in V2.2.1

Is anyone else using rafts? In V2.2.0 the rafts worked just fine. Now they made it "easier" to remove the part and the printer will just noodle all over it with nothing sticking.

Is anyone else having the same issue? Tech support is basically ignoring me.
Attachments
0111151230a.jpg
dsegel

Re: Rafts in V2.2.1

I had the opposite experience - 2.2.0 made rafts that were impossible to remove without damaging the print, while 2.2.1 seems to work fine. What raft settings are you using?
KeyboardWarrior

dsegel wrote:I had the opposite experience - 2.2.0 made rafts that were impossible to remove without damaging the print, while 2.2.1 seems to work fine. What raft settings are you using?
My rafts have been fine in both versions for PLA/ABS
TenKOhms

try leveling your bed so you dont have to use a raft
dunginhawk

there are a million reasons to use a raft that have nothing to do with bed leveling.

biggest one is curling corners in ABS... on some parts I have to use a raft or the part is destroyed.
KeyboardWarrior

dunginhawk wrote:there are a million reasons to use a raft that have nothing to do with bed leveling.

biggest one is curling corners in ABS... on some parts I have to use a raft or the part is destroyed.
Using a brim requires that your bed is leveled, but saves time and improves the surface adhesion to your bed.
jimc

i have to agree with KW. in the past i have printed on average a spool of abs per week. always use a brim on more cube shaped objects. i cant even offer any useful info on the raft issue from the op because in a year and a half i have never used one.
turbocharged110

There are definitely good uses for a raft (better first layer support adhesion for support material that lies outside the perimeter of the part is when I use rafts most), but that doesn't answer the question at hand.

I never used rafts in V2.2.0 since I got it just before V2.2.1 came out so I can't comment on the changes. I have had very good luck with rafts in V2.2.1 using ABS though.

Post up a screenshot of your raft settings for us to take a look at.
Printer: Rostock Max w/ E3D V5 hotend and lots of upgrades/modifications
JFettig

dsegel wrote:I had the opposite experience - 2.2.0 made rafts that were impossible to remove without damaging the print, while 2.2.1 seems to work fine. What raft settings are you using?
See the highlighted setting
2.2.1 raft.JPG
In V2.2.0 you could adjust that to increase the gap which V2.2.1 will only do 1 layer PLUS that gap now.

Nothing to do with bed leveling, my entire bed is within +/-.003"(delta printer)
dunginhawk wrote:there are a million reasons to use a raft that have nothing to do with bed leveling.

Parts curling - why I'm using them, it solves that problem.

I only print in ABS.
jimc

like i said i have no input for you on the raft issue but i was looking at your pic closely. 003" out on your bed is alot. you can see how major it is by looking at your skirt. its nice and flat on the fwd left corner but on the right side the extrusions are very round and just laying there. the bed being out like that will affect the print from many layers above.

Return to “Troubleshooting and Bug Reports”