joealarson

Single thickness walls (Spurs)

One of the things that kept me away from Simplify3D for so long was that it can't do very thin walls. I rely on MakerWare's Spur feature when doing soap stamps and inadvertently used it when I accidentally modeled the walls for a peg jumping game piece (attached) too thin, but was surprised to discover how solid a single wall printed (http://joes3dworkbench.blogspot.com/201 ... -game.html) . And, yes, technically I could do some slight of hand with 0% infill and the like, but that won't work when doing lettering on stamps for making impression in soap. I've gotten very good at using spurs and until Simplify3D can impliment them I'm going to have to keep going back to MakerWare. Please don't make me do that.
Attachments
jumpingPegRed.stl
(24.89 KiB) Downloaded 392 times
MasterFX

Re: Single thickness walls (Spurs)

There are two ways to get this to print:
1. Design the model so, that the thinnest wall is not thinner than the Nozzle diameter
2. Set the extrusion witdth manual to the thickness of the wall.

But you are right, it would be nice to say the slicer "Print thin walls even if it is smaller than the nozzle diameter"
joealarson

You're not right. If the thinnest wall is smaller than 2*(nozzle diameter it quits). Simplify 3D does not under any circumstances attempt a single wall thick walls. So if your nozzle diameter is 0.4mm the thinnest wall you can do is 0.8mm. It does, however, do single line fill (in the case that it hasn't already given up on the perimeter in that area).

Try slicing the model attached and you'll see what I mean. The wall is 0.6mm thick. Assuming you have a 0.4mm nozzle you'll end up with a lot of open space. Set it to a 0.3mm nozzle and you'll get 2 walls. That's not right either. Makerware went ahead with that and made it a single wall and it worked great. And I rely on this a lot in my printing.
ssayer

Same here. It's a shame that I can't use S3D for everything, but... this one point makes me have to use Makerware on occasion. Not looking out for it enough, I usually don't catch it until the 4 or 5th layer of actual printing...
jd_3d

Yes! I could really use this feature. I've wanted it for over a year (and requested it a year ago). It would be my #1 request.
joealarson

Just upgraded to 2.2 and tried printing the jumping peg model again and again it's a single little circle floating in space, the 0.6mm walls are completely ignored still. I thought there was supposed to be something about this in the new version. I guess not.
'hannoHI

+1
dkightley

This has been the subject of several threads...see: viewtopic.php?f=23&t=3471&hilit=thin

In a nut shell, there are two schools of thought.....neither are wrong....one saying that S3D should print irrespective of the extrusion being thicker than the designed object, and on saying that S3D should refuse to print anything that is not the correct thickness.

I have suggested a switch so that whatever way you want the software to behave is the correct way.....for you!

This is one of the two enhancements I would like to see done...not because the software doesn't do what I want it to do, but because I believe it will improve the software by giving users a choice.
Doug Kightley
Volunteer at the National Tramway Museum http://www.tramway.co.uk
Railway modeller and webmaster at http://www.talkingtgauge.net
HighlandPony

Big +1.

Return to “Feature Requests”