vip-klaus

using Origin offsets

Hi all.

I'm new to 3D-printing and S3D. I'm trying to tell S3D the usable size of my 3D-printer. Problem is, that there is an offset from homing (X=0, Y=0) and the area of where the prints can be positioned. I used the "Origin offset" values of the Machine-tab to define a gap, but when a new object is imported, S3D nevertheless positions it exactly centered (please see the attached file). How can I tell S3d not to use the area between X/Y=0 and the defined offset?

My printer is an Renkforce RF1000.

Thank you.

vip-klaus
Attachments
S3D_setup.JPG
JoeJ

Re: using Origin offsets

It sounds like you are on the right track. Just define an origin offset and then when you click OK or Save, you should see the XYZ axis move to the new origin location. Then when you import parts, they can still be centered on the build platform, the axis position has just moved relative to that.
vip-klaus

JoeJ wrote:It sounds like you are on the right track. Just define an origin offset and then when you click OK or Save, you should see the XYZ axis move to the new origin location. Then when you import parts, they can still be centered on the build platform, the axis position has just moved relative to that.
JoeJ,
thank you for your reply. Not shure, whether I understand you. I want S3d not to use the areas left and below the newly defined axis. If only the axis is moved with no further action this setup is worthless to me.
Is there an other method to define a valid / invalid area of the build platform?
JoeJ

Your build dimensions should always be the USABLE portion of your build table. As far as the software is concerned, it will try to use every bit of that space.
vip-klaus

Hi JoeJ, that is clear. But problem is, that the usable area of my build table does not start at X=0 / Y=0. I dont find a way to tell S3D that the table starts at X=10 / Y=25.
JoeJ

It doesn't matter where the usable area starts - just make sure that your build dimensions are ONLY the usable area. Then you use the origin offset to move the origin to account for the unused space. For example, if you moved the origin 10mm to the left, it would account for 10mm of unused space in the x-axis before the toolhead reaches the usable portion of your build plate.
vip-klaus

OK, I understand it. I have to move the axis the amount of "not to be used" space to the left (and bottom for Y). But S3D does not accept negative values for origin offsets :shock: Minimum value is zero.

I guess this behavior is a bug in S3D?

Could it be fixed?
JoeJ

You can use the gcode XY offsets instead if you need. They do similar things.
bot

The problem is with your hardware, not S3D.

I don't know of any valid reason to have x0z0 be unusable... can you put some firmware limits to force your hardware to ignore those places?
vip-klaus

bot wrote:The problem is with your hardware, not S3D.

I don't know of any valid reason to have x0z0 be unusable... can you put some firmware limits to force your hardware to ignore those places?
Hi bot, the reason why X0 / Y0 isn't valid for me it that my 3D-printer (Renkforce RF1000) has its microswitches at a position where the extruder is outside the build plate. I can not change the construction or the firmware to correct this.
Specialliy therfore a free of charge slicer software has a setup menu to handle printers like mine (see image)

As an workaround I now use a modified code inside the "Starting G-Code Script":

G1 X25 F1500; move to Y=25
G92 Y0; set this position as new Y0

This works for me, but I don't yet found the correct gcode to reset this axis back to origin at the end of the printjob. I used this inside "Ending G-Code":

G92; reset all coordinates to origin

This does not work for me. The next printjob is moved an other 25 mm to +Y.

Can anyone please help me with the correct g-code.

Greetings
Klaus
Attachments
axis correction.JPG

Return to “Troubleshooting and Bug Reports”