BaronWilliams

Re: Better top surface stitching & bosses on top layers

This slicing bug needs to be fixed, for sure. Having to do little tricks to avoid the issue is inconvenient, and you need to know where and how to do them. For a novice, who doesn't know about these tricks, they are stuck with weak parts on some prints.
soa wrote:this is truly a huge bug in S3D. that and it's terribly handling of empty or near-empty infill. makerware has such a crap interface, but it makes much better prints.
I examined MakerBot's slicer engine results for the same shapes I posted. MakerBot's slicer has this bug worse than Simplify3D does!

FlashPrint's ffslicer doesn't have this bug at all.
Last edited by BaronWilliams on Wed Feb 18, 2015 4:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bot

Cura, also doesn't have this bug at all. This bug should never have existed! :) But, S3D is great so I'm not going to bring the tone of this post down.

Please, please, please fix this! I haven't "encountered" it yet, but I've only been using S3D for a few days. I would LOVE it if a patch was released before I ever even encountered the bug! :mrgreen:
BaronWilliams

bot wrote:Cura, also doesn't have this bug at all.
Yeah. I just checked it.

Here's what I've tested so far.
  • Cura doesn't have the bug.
  • KISSlicer doesn't have the bug.
  • FlashPrint's ffslicer engine doesn't have this bug.
  • FlashPrint's Skeinforge engine doesn't show this bug. It gets around it by making a solid platform below the small trapezoids. Strange.
  • Simplify3D has the bug.
  • Slic3r and FlashPrint's Slic3r engine have the bug worse than Simplify3D.
  • MakerBot has the bug worse than Simplify3D.
I've added my Trapezoids-On-Box.STL file which shows this problem in various slicers.
Attachments
Trapezoids-On-Box.stl
(4.57 KiB) Downloaded 253 times
JD95

BaronWilliams wrote:
bot wrote:Cura, also doesn't have this bug at all.
Yeah. I just checked it.

Here's what I've tested so far.
  • Cura doesn't have the bug.
  • KISSlicer doesn't have the bug.
  • FlashPrint's ffslicer engine doesn't have this bug.
  • FlashPrint's Skeinforge engine doesn't show this bug. It gets around it by making a solid platform below the small trapezoids. Strange.
  • Simplify3D has the bug.
  • Slic3r and FlashPrint's Slic3r engine have the bug worse than Simplify3D.
  • MakerBot has the bug worse than Simplify3D.
I've added my Trapezoids-On-Box.STL file which shows this problem in various slicers.
Do you mean the Skeinforge setting makes a solid deck for the trapezoid to sit on? If that's what you mean, that's actually a decent thing in my opinion.
BaronWilliams

JD95 wrote:Do you mean the Skeinforge setting makes a solid deck for the trapezoid to sit on? If that's what you mean, that's actually a decent thing in my opinion.
Yes, that's exactly what Skeinforge does. I'm not sure why it chooses to do that based on these shapes, but that sure makes the print extra tough.
Galaxius

+1 I've had the same issue before. Perimeters should always connect to solid top layers, as in if you have 4 perimeters all 4 perimeters should sit on top of solid infill (for the number of desired top layers), not just the outermost perimeter.
bot

Did I already mention that this is a serious issue that needs to be addressed or I will be very vocally upset about it in a month or so?

:mrgreen:
kusmi

+1 Would like to see this fixed as well
andre

BTW, this bug exists for both S3D/Makerware in reverse. If you have a boss on the bottom of a part, you'll also get only one shell attachment. I've broken those screw bosses off so many times due to this bug.

Return to “Feature Requests”