JFettig

Re: Wipe While Retracting...

TenKOhms wrote:
JFettig wrote:I'm surprised this thread is so old and they haven't done anything about it!

Any tips on how to run that ruby script? I've installed NP++ and Ruby, definitely not much of a programmer.
instructions are in the comments at the top of the script:

Code: Select all

#filepath = "/home/user/whatever.gcode"

#chmod +x this file
# ./thisfile.rb "/file/path.here" > "/new/file.path"
might as well be greek :P
MaOb

Hi,

is it possible that this issue has been fixed in s3d 2.2.2?

BR, Martin
JFettig

It still pauses, blobs, then wipes.
JoeJ

Just to be clear, what is currently does is print, retract immediately after completing the loop, and then wipe. There is no pause. It is a retraction movement.

It seems like some people may have their retract speeds too low if this is actually a long pause. Retracts are typically very quick.
JFettig

100mm/s too slow? There is a pause while it retracts, a long Bowden tube has a ton of compression on the filament, and it blobs. Direct drive and it wouldn't have an issue because retractions could be really short. I have to retract 6 mm or it strings.
JoeJ

Why don't you try some coasting to help relieve the built up pressure then? A 6mm retract at 100mm/s would only take 0.06 seconds.
JFettig

I do coast, it makes a seam and is inconsistent if I turn it up. That retract definitely takes more than .06 seconds by the time motion stops, the filament accelerates and decelerates - it probably doesn't even make it to 100mm/s in that short distance.
bot

It takes longer because of acceleration settings. Often the extruder stepper axis has very conservative acceleration and jerk firmware settings. It likely never even makes it to 100mm/s if it's taking so long.
madeinoz

+1

I've just come across this problem printing nylon on a bowden extruder and is can see a noticeable pause at the retractions which are causing blobs
illbeback2

+1

Return to “Troubleshooting and Bug Reports”