alien2108

My Kossel Mini is up and running, Owl test has one issue tho

Hey all!

My Kossel Mini Delta is up and running (my second printer, first one is running like a well oiled clock - Prusa i3) very well with Rich's FW and auto level did a very good job as I do not seem to have any issues with first layer sticking or head running into bed etc....I am currently printing at 240C (chinese E3D is approx. 10C off, so that would translate to 230C on my original E3Dv6 with same material), 70mm/s and Owl looks quite nice, but the top is somehow "open" (look at the picture). I minimised tiny blobs with retraction of only 1mm at end of loop and extra retract distance -0.9mm before continuing. Coasting is set to 2mm. Otherwise I had tiny blobs at end of loop. I use 3mm filament in bowden, head is 0.4mm.

I do not think under extrusion is the issue as top/bottom look very nice when I print 20mm box (3 top/bottom layers filled). Might it do something with retraction?
Attachments
Photo 21. 02. 15 12.08.44.jpg
Photo 21. 02. 15 12.09.20.jpg
JoeJ

Re: My Kossel Mini is up and running, Owl test has one issue

It looks like it wasn't even extruding at the top. Can you post your factory file? I feel like this would be pretty easy to diagnose if we can see the settings and check the gcode in the previewer.
alien2108

Actually now looking detailed at slicing preview, it seems that slicer did a bad job indeed and the top is botched, so this is not printer issue at all!! Factory file included!

Small gaps on back are due to Coasting set to 2mm...So i should probably lower coasting to 0.5-1mm.
Attachments
OwlReDo1_fixed_sc.factory
(1.72 MiB) Downloaded 145 times
JoeJ

It looks like it did exactly what you told it to!

I was going to recommend that 2mm seemed like a very high value for coasting. From the pictures of your print, it looks like you could use a much lower value. Obviously, if you use a very large coasting value, you can't print extremely small features, since you are essentially telling the software that you nozzle oozes too much to make them.
alien2108

Changed coasting to 0.2, little improvement, but still far from perfect. If you do look at slicing preview, the top is again visibly not "full".
Attachments
Photo 21. 02. 15 20.48.55.jpg
JoeJ

Why don't you try using a second process for that top section? You could turn off coasting just for the top 10mm of the model. They have a tutorial that describes how to do this: https://www.simplify3d.com/support/tuto ... f-a-model/

Some other things you might want to check - your retraction and cooling settings. If the retract/prime distances aren't right, it will also create gaps in the print that become more prominent for small sections. And of course if there isn't enough cooling for those tiny ears, they will just end up looking like a ball of plastic anyways
alien2108

I can confirm issue was due to retracts/coasting...and disabling or chaining the values causes the already mentioned "blobs". Now if I have almost no blobs I get the issue seen on the owl top and probably to resolve it I would have to change coasting for the top end yes...But I sincerely hope the "blob" issue will be handled better by Simplify as it seems it was also software related....

Return to “Troubleshooting and Bug Reports”