bishbash

Infill has gaps between each line of infill

IMG_20150224_150412.jpg
IMG_20150224_150412.jpg
While printing a lithophane, I just can't get solid infill. I've put infill to 100%, infill extrusion width to 250% and extrusion multiplier to 1.10 but it still doesn't solve it. Strangely, the infill in the frame around the litho prints perfectly with no gaps. I don't understand why the infill within the litho has gaps and the infill width is much thinner than the infill within the frame. Could someone help me with this please? Much appreciated thanks!
JoeJ

Re: Infill has gaps between each line of infill

I'm not sure I understand your question... or your picture...

There shouldn't be any infill visible in that picture. If you're looking at the top of your model, then all you are seeing is the outer solid layers. Those would print with the exact same settings. I also don't see the gaps that you're talking about from the photos... they look pretty solid to me (maybe even slightly over-extruded!)
BaronWilliams

Re: Infill has gaps between each line of infill

You're never going to get great results for a complex lithophane on any slicer. For simple ones you can get decent results, but the one in your picture is tough for a 3D printer that uses FFF technology.

I have tried doing lithophanes of people using several different slicers and they all came out pretty ugly. There were too many line gaps and strange line patterns, making the faces look like zombies. If I could simplify the lithophanes, they would look better, but then facial features would get lost.

As long as you're not expecting great results, I would try to increase the number of Top Solid Layers, or make your infill 100% solid so that the complex lithophane area has more support. Even if you fix some of the line gaps, you can't fix them all, and it is still going to be pretty ugly. I gave up doing lithophanes for anything complex, unless a rough look is desired. A lithophane of large text looks good. A lithophane of a simple cartoon face looks good. But a lithophane generated from a complex photo tends to look very ugly.

Return to “Troubleshooting and Bug Reports”