jbishir

Scaling issue Autodesk Inventor STL to Simplify 3-D

Every time I upload a STL file from Autodesk Inventor 15 it's scaled very small regardless of the original dimensions of the file. I had originally thought it may have something to do with the Simplify 3D beign set as a metric default, but that doesn't appear to make a difference if I change it. Any ideas?

Thanks,

JB
JoeJ

Re: Scaling issue Autodesk Inventor STL to Simplify 3-D

How far do you have to scale it up before it is correct? Is it exactly 25.4 times smaller than it should be? If so, then you are looking at a units conversion issue. Likely the CAD software is trying to convert into the wrong units since STL files don't have units associated with them (and 3D printing uses millimeters).
Nomnomnom

I have the exact same issue. I just scale it up 10x to resolve it but I have no idea what is causing it
djohnson

when you export (from Inventor) as an stl file, have you selected options (on the export save dialog box) to confirm that the format units are set to millimeter?
Rebekah_harper

I was going to say the same.

I use Autodesk inventor and made a similar mistake.

All it was, was when saving the file at the bottom there is options and within that I hadn't matched the units with the units I had used in my design.
Nomnomnom

I have figured out the problem!
When exporting the file, dont "export" it, simply select in the "print" subheading, "send to 3d print service" and save it from there. it scales it however you like from there. I dont have anymore issues with scaling now
percar

you can also use export but set up the options to mm dimensions

Return to “Troubleshooting and Bug Reports”