dunginhawk

Re: NinjaFlex w/ FF Creator Pro

maybe i am doing things differently.

First, it is GRASS GREEN ninjaflex :) so ill try even slower. i think i did 30-40mm/s last time.

I put the filament in, feed it, extrude til clear. turn off pre heat. if tried pulling immediately, letting it cool to 100, or 50c and at those low temps it seems to just break off.
I pull from the top with the arm that holds the filament against the gear open, so it wont crimp it.

thoughts?
BaronWilliams

dunginhawk wrote:maybe i am doing things differently.

First, it is GRASS GREEN ninjaflex :) so ill try even slower. i think i did 30-40mm/s last time.
Yea, that's the NinjaFlex green color that I have. That had to be printed slower than the red. It took me a long time to figure out what was going on. I would print the object in red and it would come out just fine. Print in green and then I'd get thin walls. I tried upping the extrusion multiplier, upping the printing temperature, and several other things. The only thing that worked was reducing the print speed. 20 mm/s was about as fast as it would print properly for me.
dunginhawk wrote:I put the filament in, feed it, extrude til clear. turn off pre heat. if tried pulling immediately, letting it cool to 100, or 50c and at those low temps it seems to just break off.
I pull from the top with the arm that holds the filament against the gear open, so it wont crimp it.

thoughts?
I pull the same way I think. But not at such low temperatures. I pull at 200-230 C usually, after letting it sit in the nozzle for about 1 minute. It's never snapped off. Maybe you have a bad batch of the cleaning filament?
dunginhawk

so FYI, im printing something now and even at like 5mm/s 0r 10mm/s first layer the fill isnt touching each line, there is a gap. im running 1.05 extrusion multiplier with .2mm layer height. first layer 100 and width 100.
brand new nozzle, never been printed with before.
I notice to get it to come out smoothly enough, im running the temp at 230 for ninjaflex.. seems high, but its working.
Just not getting enough extrusion for some reason.
any ideas?
dunginhawk

ok running 2x extrusion multiplier and its printing pretty dang well... slow and steady as well...
i have a support email in to ssimplify3d to answer why in the world would i need that.
230c temps, yeah ok. speeds, yeah ok.2x multiplier? wierd.
BaronWilliams

Dunginhawk, that's just not right. I have a FlashForge Dreamer and it's got pretty much the same print head as the Creator Pro. I do have a special drive block installed for flexible filament. Other than that, it's pretty much identical. I print NinjaFlex with a 1.0 extrusion multiplier, 20 mm/s (30 mm/s for some batches), and use a 0.4 mm nozzle at about 215 C. My extrusion width is normally 0.50 mm.

The green was always the most difficult to print. Maybe newer batches are even harder to print than what I have?

Do your other non-NinjaFlex filaments print fine when using a 1.0 extrusion multiplier?

Is it possible that your NinjaFlex is slipping on your stepper gear? Can you feel it feeding properly with your hand?

Another issue is that MAYBE your filament is STRETCHING while being pulled from the filament spool. I have seen this happen before. That would cause the filament diameter to decrease as it goes into the nozzle and you would need crazy high extrusion multiplier settings to fix it.
jimc

I would almost bet the drive gear is slipping on the filament. It can be real hard to grip the stuff
dunginhawk

Im not saying these things couldnt be happening, but it wouldnt slip SOOOO consistently over a 5 hour print to provide perfect results. It came out PERFECT. every layer, every line was consistent.
BaronWilliams

This just shouldn't be. Can you post your factory file so that others can view it? Maybe something is messed up in the settings that you've overlooked?
BaronWilliams

The other possibility is that the filament diameter is wrong. The spool of filament you have might be defective and be far under 1.75 mm in diameter.

If filament is considerably lower in diameter than the specs, you will need to increase your extrusion multiplier if the filament diameter setting in Simplify3D is set to 1.75mm, but the actual filament's real diameter is say 1.60 mm.

A lot of filament varies a bit in it's filament diameter. It's not uncommon to see 1.75 mm filament go down to 1.70 and up to 1.80 mm.

Usually, if filament is out of specs, its not by much, and typically it goes back to specs somewhere on the filament spool. But there are spools of filament that are considerably off spec for the entire roll. I've seen this with Taulman filament before, where all the filament is below specs for the whole spool.
jeffperry314

I have flashforge creator pro with stock nozzles and have printed ninja flex with no issues using the flashforge software, havent yet tried now that i have simply 3d. KEy to printing on creator pro seemed to be dropping print speed down to a painfully slow 10mm/s , and setting correct retraction settings , temp a little on high side , increased infill , and overlap perimeter adjusting. I have printed 100+ shoelaces from ninja flex as well as rings and other assorted small prints and all have worked great. If you can just print 10mm/s and 100 percennt infill, assuming this isnt stupid for your articular model.

Return to “General Discussion and Tips”