billyd

Under extrusions in certain areas of a print

Hello,

It seems like certain horizontal walls are underextruded in certain areas of a print. But always in the same spot, even if I change the location on the build plate. What would cause this? Using 2.2.2

I would say it is a filament problem, but why would it be repeatable in the same areas? I got rid of it by lowering the filament diameter down to 1.61. But the smallest part of the filament is never less than 1.68. This obviously results in overextrusions in areas that were previously ok.

Thoughts?

Also having trouble understanding the new vertical wall fill feature. If I want the software to fill the walls always what are the settings? It seems no matter what I do the only way to be sure a vertical wall gets filled is to make sure the thickness is an even multiple of my extrusion width.

Bill
JoeJ

Re: Under extrusions in certain areas of a print

Why don't you post a factory file? I don't think there are any issues with the software under-extruding, so more likely it's either an issue with the model, or perhaps a feed issue where you are trying to run the extruder too fast and it can't keep up.

For the thin wall stuff, I like to set it so that it uses gap fill (Advanced tab) and then set my outline overlap to 30% (Infill tab). That does a great job filling any gap in this walls since it essentially uses variable width fill.
billyd

Thanks I resolved the issue, it was a slightly out of level build plate. A real beginner's mistake lol. Level's been good for so long I haven't had to touch it and took it for granted. But I guess it finally got just a tiny bit low on one corner. All is well.

I am talking about vertical thin walls where the software will try to fill the wall with perimeters, and then use fill to finish it off. Sometimes it leaves a gap anyway especially if the resulting gap is quite small with respect to the extrusion width. I've read others having this trouble as well. The way I've found around this is to design thin walls as an even multiple of the extrusion width. But it would be nice if we can figure out why the software sometimes leaves gaps, even when the option to fill those gaps is checked, and a 50% overlap is entered.
JoeJ

If you use gap fill with an outline overlap percentage of 50% (see the Infill tab), then you shouldn't get any gaps.

Do the gaps show up in the visual preview, or just when you actually print the part? Maybe it is an under-extrusion issue...
billyd

No it's when it actually prints the part. And also in preview. No attempt is made by the slicer to fill. It just acts like it wants to do just perimeters and ignores that you requested fill.
JoeJ

So again, why don't you post the factory file since we can't do anything to help you otherwise.
Milestone85

I also get this with some models in the same spots. Its like the outer layer under extruded across maybe 10-20% of the part. The above layers are fine.

I found decreasing the layer thickness from 4 layers to 1 or 2 layers seems to help.. also increasing infill. Ive yet to totally understand it.

Return to “General Discussion and Tips”