billyd

Re: Airwolf3d HD2X profile

So general question about this printer. I just got one of these, and frankly I am thinking about returning it.

It seems very slow to me, even with the advanced Simplify3d software. And the print quality isn't great. Granted I haven't had it that long to tweak the settings. And the dual nozzle printers are always more complex.

But I am having problems with HIPS dripping on the rest of the print when printing with the other extruder. And also at tool changes locations were the print restarts I am getting overextrusion causing bulges.

I imagine some of this can be corrected, but I am under severe time pressure since you only get 14 days to return it.

What are the general impressions of this printer? I've seem some negativity elsewhere online. Makes me nervous. The printer is already over-priced, but I can deal with that if it is excellent. Right now, my makerbot r2 (upgraded with hbp, sailfish f/w and enclosure) simply blows it out of the water, in every respect. Except it's a single extruder.

Perhaps I should get the 2x?
dennisjm

Wish I could give you positive re-enforcement. I never figured out wall quality issues on this. When I want nice results I just print on my little FlashForge Creator Pro, which delivers me hassle free pretty prints.

I only use my hd2x for large PLA prints where I can get away with a lesser quality finish. I wish I knew why. Months of tinkering with it and I still am about where I was when I got it. Not like I'm a lame brain or anything... but yeah, the answer has eluded me. Tried different materials, every different setting possible.
billyd

dennisjm wrote:Wish I could give you positive re-enforcement. I never figured out wall quality issues on this. When I want nice results I just print on my little FlashForge Creator Pro, which delivers me hassle free pretty prints.

I only use my hd2x for large PLA prints where I can get away with a lesser quality finish. I wish I knew why. Months of tinkering with it and I still am about where I was when I got it. Not like I'm a lame brain or anything... but yeah, the answer has eluded me. Tried different materials, every different setting possible.

Oh man. That's really depressing. Ok this printer is going back. It's going to cost me about $600 (10% restocking fee plus all shipping must be paid back) Frankly I don't care. It seems as though this printer is a $4000 hunk of junk.

Also I should mention to S3D that their Airwolf3d HD2x profiles have some issues with the startup gcode. Especially for when you want to use both extruders. This is what I've changed it to, but I haven't tested it yet:

M140 S[bed0_temperature]; set bed temperature
G28 Z0 ; home Z axis
T1
G1 Z20 F900; Move Z down 20 mm
G28 X0 Y0 ; home XY axes
M190 S[bed0_temperature]; wait for bed to reach target
M104 T0 S[extruder0_temperature]; This code was left out by the S3D profile, it doesn't work without it
M104 T1 S[extruder0_temperature]; I don't bother specifying a second extruder temp because there is only one heater block
M109 T0 S[extruder0_temperature]; wait for extruder to heat
M109 T1 S[extruder0_temperature]; wait for extruder to heat
G28 Z0 ; Re-home Z
G92 Z.10 F225 ; Slight move for Z The next section is code I've added since the original code didn't purge both extruders
G92 E0 ;zero the extruded length
G1 F200 E10 ;extrude 10mm of feed stock
G92 E0 ;zero the extruded length again
G1 F200 E-20
T0 ;Switch to the first extruder
G92 E0 ; reset virtual position
KeyboardWarrior

billyd wrote:
dennisjm wrote:Wish I could give you positive re-enforcement. I never figured out wall quality issues on this. When I want nice results I just print on my little FlashForge Creator Pro, which delivers me hassle free pretty prints.

Oh man. That's really depressing. Ok this printer is going back. It's going to cost me about $600 (10% restocking fee plus all shipping must be paid back) Frankly I don't care. It seems as though this printer is a $4000 hunk of junk.

Also I should mention to S3D that their Airwolf3d HD2x profiles have some issues with the startup gcode. Especially for when you want to use both extruders. This is what I've changed it to, but I haven't tested it yet:

G28 Z0 ; home Z axis
T1
G28 X0 Y0 ; home XY axes
M104 T0 S[extruder0_temperature]; This code was left out by the S3D profile, it doesn't work without it
M104 T1 S[extruder0_temperature]; I don't bother specifying a second extruder temp because there is only one heater block

G28 Z0 ; Re-home Z
G92 Z.10 F225 ; Slight move for Z The next section is code I've added since the original code didn't purge both extruders
G1 F200 E-20
That's really interesting you would need to send two heating commands if there's only one heating block on the extruders. Has anyone else had this experience?
billyd

KeyboardWarrior wrote:
billyd wrote:

G28 Z0 ; home Z axis
T1
G28 X0 Y0 ; home XY axes

G28 Z0 ; Re-home Z
G1 F200 E-20
That's really interesting you would need to send two heating commands if there's only one heating block on the extruders. Has anyone else had this experience?
Well you don't really have to. But I like to see the Vicki controller show the temp on both extruders and have both lights lit. You could remove one each of the M104 and M109 lines for brevity. But then the Vicki will show 0 as the set temp for the extruder you left off. Of course it will still function. Just window dressing.

edit: The real problems in the S3D startup code for the 2 nozzle Airwolf process is that they left out the M104 command, and they don't purge both extruders. It won't work without the M104 and you have to purge both nozzles at the start of the print of course.
Last edited by billyd on Thu Mar 05, 2015 12:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
billyd

I think the problem lies in the fact that the support system for the nozzles is flimsy and prone to vibration (small diameter, long unsupported spans). Also the idea of placing the steppers that far from the nozzles while neat in some respects I think creates serious drawbacks. Everything is a spring, even plastic, so as the steppers start and stop the long spans of plastic between the steppers and the nozzles will expand and contract from the shock of the sudden moves (like a slinky only on a smaller scale). This will necessarily cause pulsing in the extrusion destroying finish.

Frankly this is a bad design and I should have known better.
goose51683

I'm glad I'm not the only one unimpressed with this printer.

I had been printing with an AM8 but was dying to find a dual head printer. I caught a demo sale from Ariwolf and thought I was getting the best deal of a lifetime when I picked one up for 90% off. Its a good price for another printer but my AM8 performs circles around this overpriced thing. I'm gonna try the profiles out that were sent and see if it makes any difference but I'm not holding out much hope.

Return to “General Discussion and Tips”