Page 2 of 2
Re: Printed sizes not as expected
Posted: Wed Feb 25, 2015 10:57 am
by cncpadawan
JFettig,
I'd be interested to find out what your results turn out to be. I was beginning to wonder if I was the only one having this issue!
I have attached the mutated cube I have been playing with. It is 1" square, outside wall is 1mm. I will try what JoeJ suggested hopefully tonight or tomorrow and post results for that.
Re: Printed sizes not as expected
Posted: Wed Feb 25, 2015 12:27 pm
by JFettig
This is my go-to calibration object, it has many measurements that can be taken. I found that calibrating off an object that has 1 dimension like an inch by an inch isn't as useful as having many dimensions within the same object. I found that my 20mm and under dimensions were large and 100mm dimensions were only 99mm
Re: Printed sizes not as expected
Posted: Wed Feb 25, 2015 1:27 pm
by cncpadawan
Ok, thanks! I'll give that one a shot too.
I got an email from S3D support.. under Tools -> Firmware Configuration, make sure Replicator 1 (dual extruder) is selected. It was for me... but they thought maybe that was the problem. It isn't in my case, but thought I'd pass it on. It is also where the stepping values can be changed it appears.
Re: Printed sizes not as expected
Posted: Wed Feb 25, 2015 9:05 pm
by cncpadawan
JFettig, I gave it a shot, printing your design as well as mine. Measured both and it seems I am within .05mm (usually small, but not always). I am going to try adjusting the multiplier a bit more and see what I get.
Re: Printed sizes not as expected
Posted: Wed Feb 25, 2015 9:07 pm
by cncpadawan
Well, stupid me.. seems I was changing the factor on the extruder I am NOT using for the testing... go figure. So setting the width to auto is what did the trick, or got me closer. So let me try the multiplier now... lol
Re: Printed sizes not as expected
Posted: Wed Feb 25, 2015 11:43 pm
by jimc
Just as a side note.....keep in mind that if you have a .4 nozzle, you wont extrude at .4mm. You should always have your extrusion width set larger than your nozzle diameter. I have a .4 on my machine and will set my width to .45-.65. Normally i am set to .5mm. Ext width settings at or below your nozzle width tend to give inaccurate prints and infill issues as well.
Re: Printed sizes not as expected
Posted: Thu Feb 26, 2015 8:38 am
by cncpadawan
Ah, good note, thanks! I have it on auto and it seems (if the display is accurate) to set it to .48mm.