joesomething

Blobs and Zits, movement is delayed?

Mon Jun 11, 2018 2:59 pm

Prints start fine, but It seems that if I walk away for a bit, when I return to the printer, the movements (over USB) are heavily delayed and subsequently causing blobs to form. This has happened on two PCs, the current being a freshly loaded i5 3GHz with plenty of RAM. I have disabled all sleep and hibernation settings, and nothing else is running. It seems that when I move the mouse and resume using the computer, the print returns to normal speed without blobs.

I've reviewed the Blobs and Zits troubleshooting, but I don't feel this is an actual print issue so much as a USB/driver issue? Latest drivers are installed.

Any ideas? For now I'm going to try keeping "caffeine" running (an app that simulates someone being at the keyboard) and see if it helps.
Attachments
20180611_145321 1.jpg

wirlybird

Re: Blobs and Zits, movement is delayed?

Tue Jun 12, 2018 6:13 am

You may have answered your own question.

" I have disabled all sleep and hibernation settings, and nothing else is running. It seems that when I move the mouse and resume using the computer, the print returns to normal speed without blobs."

If the computer "resumes" then it would seem you haven't turned off all power saving and sleep functions.

airscapes

Re: Blobs and Zits, movement is delayed?

Tue Jun 12, 2018 7:39 am

I gave up with USB from a Laptop and moved to a Raspberry Pi 3B+. I have local access with usb keyboard, mouse and monitor attached to the pi next to the printer as well as full remote access from any other device. With a webcam you have visuals and full octoprint capability. No SD card swapping and no stalling of the print job. I think the pi and webcam cost me $90 had the keyboard mouse and old 4:3 20" monitor. Works great, would never go back to a laptop of sd card at this point..

Return to “Troubleshooting and Bug Reports”