Cecilio

Could not open file for writing

Hi.

I'm a Linux user. When I leave the program it shows the message of the subject.

Something is not saved and when opening again it does not take the configuration.

It's file permission problem. But I do not know what file / folder it tries to open to save something.

any ideas ?

Do you know if you can put Simplify3D in Spanish?
dkightley

Re: Could not open file for writing

Do you know if you can put Simplify3D in Spanish?

Select the "Help" menu.

Click on "Change Language"

Spanish is at the bottom of the list.
Doug Kightley
Volunteer at the National Tramway Museum http://www.tramway.co.uk
Railway modeller and webmaster at http://www.talkingtgauge.net
ttn

Hi I find I get the same error when closing simplify3d, when I have 60x 3Dbenchy on the build plate scaled to 40%.

I can see in the lower left box that it is writing to file.. and its going through writing them one by one, but then it crashes.

I also find it crashes when I try to slice this many benchies on the print bed (probably a different bug/issue). I should also mention that I have the model for my printer loaded in the build space (see screenshot attached).

This is on v4.0.1 with windows 10.
Attachments
Capture.PNG
ttn

Update: I previously had it crashing slicing 60, or 100x benchies on the platter but now I've managed to have it slice them.

It crashed when I straight up loaded 1 benchy, then copy pasted till I had 10x. Then selected the 10 and copy pasted till I had 100 (rearranging platter in between copy pastes, if I don't, and I paste them and they go too far to the right of the screen, it crashes again!! :( Then when I slice, it crashes.

If I have 20 loaded on the platter, then close the program, then copy paste (rearrange with each paste) and then slice, I'm able to slice.

Error handling isn't very graceful.. simplify3d just vaporizes.
ttn

Update 2.

It does not appear to be running out of memory, it has 4+ gigabytes free (I have 16GB in my system). I had task manager up watching it as I went about doing things in S3D.
However after simplify 3D crashed and Windows 10 had the error message showing "simplify3D has stopped working" I tried to open snipping tool. Snipping tool told me that it was unable to start right now and I had to reboot Windows to get it to work so I relaunched the snipping tool again and this time my whole computer screen goes black. (???) I've never had issues with my pc in the past. Always stable, 1 year old build, no bluescreens or anything.

I just re-ran the operations that caused my pc to hang, and S3D worked this time. This time it sliced just fine. This is bizzare. Could I have had another background copy of S3D open? I can't replicate this crashing reliably. Exporting all 100x benchies and re importing does fail reliably.
Cecilio

I have been able to change the language. But every time I open Simplify3D it's in English and I have to repeat the language choice.

There are also those that I mentioned:
I'm a Linux user. When I leave the program it shows the message of the subject.

Something is not saved and when opening again it does not take the configuration.

It's file permission problem. But I do not know what file / folder it tries to open to save something.

any ideas?
rrdavis

Cecilio wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 5:35 am It's file permission problem. But I do not know what file / folder it tries to open to save something.

any ideas?
Yes, definitely sounds like it is a permissions issue. Try launching the software using the commands below:

cd /opt/Simplify3D-4.0.1
sudo ./LaunchScript.sh

Then change the language option and close the program. If you relaunch it using the same commands above, does it retain your language selection?

Return to “Troubleshooting and Bug Reports”