ScotY

Recovering S3D settings from dead laptop

Tue Jul 10, 2018 3:02 pm

My laptop died and with it all my settings that worked so well. I can access the hard drive and have recovered all the stuff I hadn’t backed up. Is there any way to recover my S3D settings? If so, where would I find them?
Thanks, Scot

JohnyWalter

Re: Recovering S3D settings from dead laptop

Wed Jul 11, 2018 6:21 am

That by the look of it is a standard sata drive and the connectors will be the same as for a desktop. The four pins at the end aren't a power connector for heater, the power connector is the other side of the sata connector (a similar design to the sata connector but wider).

You could probably easily connect it to your motherboard as you are trying to do. An even easier option is just to pop onto Amazon or Ebay and order a 2.5" sata caddy. You can just pop your drive in one of those and use it as a portable USB hard drive. The caddies are very cheap.
Last edited by JohnyWalter on Tue Jul 17, 2018 3:59 am, edited 2 times in total.

ScotY

Wed Jul 11, 2018 12:06 pm

Thank you for the reply but do you know if or where S3D saves the settings used in the program? Is it in a folder somewhere on the hard drive?

wirlybird

Wed Jul 11, 2018 12:40 pm

Could you copy the whole S3D install folder from the laptop over to the new location then do a reinstall of S3D over it? It might install without whipping out the settings.

dkightley

Wed Jul 11, 2018 12:58 pm

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news.....but you have discovered S3D's worst kept secret!! The printer profiles are stored away somewhere within the Windows registry....in a way that is not known by very many!

And, iin fact, this is one of the most griped about things in the software. If you don't save your precious profiles in one of a few ways....then should your Windows environment go ZAP.....so do your profiles!!

So.….you'll have to import into the new S3D environment all the profiles you have exported. That is ….if you exported them in the first place!

Okay.....you'll be able to reassemble your set of profiles by recovering the profiles from all of your factory files. That is....if you ever saved anything to factory files.

Final chance.....you can read the profile settings from the comments in the GCode files you have created.

Failing any of these......a phrase with the words "drawing board" springs to mind!

That is unles you're feeling exceptionally brave....read this! viewtopic.php?f=8&t=2821&p=32397&hilit=registry#p32397
Doug Kightley
Volunteer at the National Tramway Museum http://www.tramway.co.uk
Railway modeller and webmaster at http://www.talkingtgauge.net

ScotY

Fri Jul 13, 2018 11:09 pm

Thanks, guys. That’s bad news indeed. Not sure I have the computer competence to figure all that stuff out.

Ayres3D

Thu Jul 19, 2018 8:47 am

If the original HDD is still good, you can probably boot from it in a different machine and then log in as you did before and export the profiles. Get a USB3-SATA adapter and boot the old drive.

ScotY

Thu Jul 19, 2018 12:28 pm

I believe the old hard drive is functional. This all happened after Windows 10 updated itself. I couldn’t unlock the PC, tried all kinds of restore things until finally it wouldn’t function at all. Given that, I don’t think Windows is functional on the HD so I don’t think I can boot from it?

Ayres3D

Wed Jul 25, 2018 5:35 am

Yes, in that case it does sound as if the OS is dead rather than the laptop hardware so that solution probably won't work - although might be worth a try, depending on how desperate you're feeling.

charlesburns

Fri Jul 27, 2018 1:45 am

Guys, thanks so much - I really thought I had exhausted all options! It was changing the 'owner' details and 'Replace all child object permission entries with inheritable permission entries from this object' that cured the problem. Thank you very much.

Logo Maker

Return to “General Discussion and Tips”