S3D-Jason

S3D Development Update - Aug 2018

Thu Aug 09, 2018 10:52 am

As promised, we wanted to post a quick update to let everyone know how things are coming with the next software release. Our team is hard at work finishing Version 4.1, and we hope to have it completed within the next month. This release has taken longer than normal due to the major foundational changes that we are working on for the product. We are working on some VERY ambitious plans for the software, so a lot of our work is going towards these major features that will be coming in the future. Although developing these big features requires time, it is going to allow us to make some major step-change improvements to the software, so it is an important step to continue advancing the state of 3D printing software.

Version 4.1 has also offered quite a few challenges of its own. Many of the features that were selected for this release required widespread changes to the software. Two good examples are increased accuracy for print time estimates and improved multi-extrusion capabilities. Those both took a significant amount of effort to implement, but we know they are very important to our customers and to the future of the product. Everyone is working hard to finish the last few remaining items for the release, and again, we are planning to have everything completed within the next month.

We are extremely excited for what's coming in future versions of Simplify3D, and we will be sure to post more information on Version 4.1 as it gets closer.

As always, thank you for your support and keep those feature ideas coming! Our developers constantly read and review the ideas on this forum, so it's a great way to make sure your ideas are heard!

timothyz

Re: S3D Development Update - Aug 2018

Fri Aug 10, 2018 5:16 pm

major foundational changes that we are working on for the product.
We are working on some VERY ambitious plans for the software, so a lot of our work is going towards these major features that will be coming in the future. Although developing these big features requires time, it is going to allow us to make some major step-change improvements to the software, so it is an important step to continue advancing the state of 3D printing software.
This is what we've been waiting for, thanks for the update.

I'm sure the community would appreciate it, and it would drive confidence if we could see updates like this (maybe with a brief bullet point list of the current things being worked on) at least once a month? You could maybe turn it into a "development blog" that would allow for user comments and suggestions in a more dynamic fashion.

Regardless, good to hear that there are some big changes going on behind the scene, thanks again for the update.

nsarzyns

Sun Aug 12, 2018 12:50 pm

@S3D-Jason

Thank you for posting an update!! It will mean a lot to both people whom already purchased Simplify3D and those that are prospective license holders. I myself am quite glad to see this update. I should probably apologize for any negativity I stated towards the Simplify3D team. I'm a developer myself and I do understand that at times timelines are underestimated or unplanned things occur and seeing this update, put a good foot forward.

I'm looking forward to 4.1! I do have a question though, do you think the Simplify3D team would be open to posting updated like you did on a monthly basis or even every other month? I'm sure a few sentence is all the community will need to excite themselves over what may come next.

I hope the rest of the development goes smoothly!

arhi

Mon Aug 13, 2018 10:33 pm

S3D-Jason wrote:
As promised, we wanted to post a quick update to let everyone know how things are coming with the next software release. Our team is hard at work finishing Version 4.1, and we hope to have it completed within the next month. This release has taken longer than normal due to the major foundational changes that we are working on for the product
foundational changes usually mean the major number goes up so maybe 5.0? not that it matters, you can call it AAX if you like but it's kinda expected that fundamental / core changes get the major number up while minor changes and bugfixes get the minor number up .. (in A.B.C versioning A is fundamental changes, B is new features, C is bugfixes)

S3D-Jason wrote:
We are working on some VERY ambitious plans for the software, so a lot of our work is going towards these major features that will be coming in the future. Although developing these big features requires time, it is going to allow us to make some major step-change improvements to the software, so it is an important step to continue advancing the state of 3D printing software.
I read this post 3 times and apart from "we are working on many things" there's nothing there :( ... one can write same thing about any product at any moment in time and it will be true but not revealing nothing ... how about a teaser, what are the top 3 new features? is there an API so we can extend sw ourselves? support for 3d mouse maybe :D new infill's? better / smoothier layer height control? better corners? better g-code preview? velocity painting? perimeter width painting? ... don't get me wrong, every feature, no matter how small, is welcome and every improvement and ... but "we are working on many things" really does not say anything, shooting a teaser with some images before/after etc.. would go a long way to calm the minds and provoke more interest in s3d
S3D-Jason wrote:
Two good examples are increased accuracy for print time estimates and improved multi-extrusion capabilities. Those both took a significant amount of effort to implement, but we know they are very important to our customers and to the future of the product.
accuracy for print time is a very small thing very simple with public domain code you could just take and use... I hope you added ability in to s3d to manipulate acceleration, junction deviation and jerk settings to get higher quality prints.... the "multi extrusion" now supports this modern N in 1 systems like what prusa is shooting out, Y spliters, diamonds ?
S3D-Jason wrote:
Everyone is working hard to finish the last few remaining items for the release, and again, we are planning to have everything completed within the next month.
I'm sure this was mentioned many times before but the institution of ALFA and BETA release to those interested to test "half baked product" before release can get you way way way closer to your community compared to where you are now..
gcodestat integrates with Simplify3D and allow you to
Calculate print time accurately (acceleration, max speed, junction deviation all taken into consideration)
Embed M117 codes into G-Code
Upload your G-Code directly to Octoprint
open source and unlicence

S3D-Jason

Wed Aug 15, 2018 9:55 am

@timothyz @nsarzyns

That's a great idea and thanks for the positive feedback. I'll try to encourage more frequent status updates so that we can keep everyone informed on what's coming in the future.

brunofporto

Wed Aug 15, 2018 7:49 pm

I stopped using Simplify3D for some months now. For one single reason: please DO SOME BETTER PROFILE MANAGEMENT system :D

It is very time-consuming to manually mess with FFF profiles only to make simple things like change filament type.... Every time I tweak some start gcode I need to change it at all profiles..... Please have profiles dedicated for printer, filament, and printing. Just that! Simple thing! I choose PLA and the temperatures, cooling and etc are set correctly. Simple as that :D

Return to “General Discussion and Tips”