abuzed
Posts: 3
Joined: Wed Nov 20, 2019 10:19 am

Best settings for small prints

Hello,

I am new to 3D printing so I use the default configuration offered by simplify3D for my printer (FlashForge Creator Pro).

I'm trying to print a very small piece (7.5mm) with close holes without accurate results (see attachment)

Any suggestions on which settings to use for small impressions?

Thank you !
Attachments
Tiny print with close holes
Tiny print with close holes
tiny-print.png (57.72 KiB) Viewed 4195 times
SweHogelid
Posts: 57
Joined: Wed Aug 03, 2016 8:01 am

Re: Best settings for small prints

Sorry to say but I wouldn't get my hopes up for a print that small with those tiny holes, but I'll guess it all depends on your expectations. Although you should be able to make a better one than that on the picture.

What nozzle size du you use?
And a better closeup would be nice :)
User avatar
dkightley
Posts: 2405
Joined: Tue Mar 10, 2015 4:09 pm

Re: Best settings for small prints

It should be possible to get better results....that's not an impossibly small part...by a long way! See here: viewtopic.php?f=8&t=14049

Attach a factory file for this part, please.

And what material are you printing in?
Doug Kightley
Volunteer at the National Tramway Museum http://www.tramway.co.uk
Railway modeller and webmaster at http://www.talkingtgauge.net
abuzed
Posts: 3
Joined: Wed Nov 20, 2019 10:19 am

Re: Best settings for small prints

Thank you for your answers!

I used the default nozzle that came with my printer (0.4mm diameter).
The material used is PolyMax PLA (1.75 mm) from Polymaker.
You will find the file as an attachment.
Attachments
Cap.stl
(35.04 KiB) Downloaded 308 times
abuzed
Posts: 3
Joined: Wed Nov 20, 2019 10:19 am

Re: Best settings for small prints

Oups my bad, you asked for the factory file, attached ! :D
Attachments
Cap.factory
(9.98 KiB) Downloaded 291 times
S3D-Alex
Posts: 456
Joined: Thu Aug 30, 2018 1:23 pm

Re: Best settings for small prints

Thank you for the Factory File! After looking over your Process Settings I would suggest printing slower and at a lower temperature to start out with. 3600mm/min is pretty fast for such a small part and 230 is nearing the upper range of what PLA usually prints at. Is the picture you included only one layer of the print here?
greybeard
Posts: 178
Joined: Mon Mar 02, 2015 1:23 pm

Re: Best settings for small prints

Printed your part using:
#1) my default settings (shown below)
#2 Adjusted layer height to 0.1mm, Top/Btm layers=3, shells=2 unchanged

Printer: Prusa built from a Kit, 0.4 nozzle
PLA: esun

Results: in both cases, printed as shown in photo

Nothing else was tweaked. I’m certain I could get a perfect print if spending 5 minutes tweaking...

Note: I adjust bed height using thin cigarette rolling paper to ensure good ‘Squishing’ of layer1 onto bed glass.
Attachments
printed.png
Screen Shot 2019-11-23 at 9.50.58 AM.png
3D Print Parts
https://www.thingiverse.com/Still_Breathing/designs

Return to “Troubleshooting and Bug Reports”