skelator

Re: Paid upgrade For 2020 upcoming Version 5.0

Simplify3d going be to an Abandond Ware?I already forgot when was the last time we have an update :D
TomOH

It has been abandoned for years now. Once in a while they throw in a frigging lie about still doing work, but that is it and will be it. Move on from the crappy company!
arhi

tenaja wrote: Thu Feb 10, 2022 6:46 pm Fabbaloo has a differing opinion.

hm
An entirely new user interface
the interface is one of the few things s3d is better than everyone else ... changing interface is the "100% not going to upgrade" scenario for many many many users
A new 3D engine behind the scenes
The existing 3D engine is rather good - changing it why?
Many new and innovative slicing features
and those are? this is the same content as bs emails we are getting since 2018 ?!
Greatly enhanced support structure management
Improved build previews
Replacement machine control panel
Greatly expanded list of supported 3D printers
And apparently even more
more "nothing" ... looks like paid advert sorry :( ... no single valuable info, no screenshot, no mockup... nothing
gcodestat integrates with Simplify3D and allow you to
Calculate print time accurately (acceleration, max speed, junction deviation all taken into consideration)
Embed M117 codes into G-Code
Upload your G-Code directly to Octoprint
open source and unlicence
criton01

What email?
myprinter

We are waiting for nothing :roll:
My last mail to them was replayed as all other mail:

Code: Select all

"I can assure you we are all still hard at work here. We are really, really excited for V5...."
I'am not so excited anymore, after more then 2++ years and still nothing...

But S3D is for me still the best one!
drank

As a dev with 26 years experience, I'd like to chime in and say that releasing a polished program takes an enormous amount of time and effort. Especially these days with everyone shredding everything in reviews you want to make sure your product is the best it can be at release. Also, this is a complicated piece of software. I don't even want to think about what's under the hood Simplify has to struggle with! Everyone, relax. The current version is great, that's why you are using it.

Simplify3d: Take your time guys, make sure it's perfect. 4.1.2 is absolutely fantastic and I've enjoyed it for the last few years and can't wait to see what's cooking in 5.0.
Instrumentation

arhi wrote: Thu Feb 10, 2022 11:14 pm
no single valuable info, no screenshot, no mockup... nothing
I'm used to long delays from game devs, and I'm usually ok with waiting until it's ready. Showing something like an "entirely new user interface" is a great way to generate lots of argument, more demands for feature inclusions and changes, and prompt more scope creep. BUT, since the consensus seems to be that this software seems to be in maintenance mode, at best, S3D should at least put out something concrete.

I'm really happy with about 95% of what I've learned in and about this software. I want it to get better, not die.
arhi

Instrumentation wrote: Thu Feb 17, 2022 3:23 pm I'm used to long delays from game devs, and I'm usually ok with waiting until it's ready.
I started making my living from software development at the '80s so I have more than a handful of delayed projects, canceled projects and all different kind of $%@%^@#^& but in all that time I never seen approach like this and that in combination with data arriving from some ex employees creates something VERY different from waiting on the cyberpunk release :D or gta6 :)
Instrumentation wrote: Thu Feb 17, 2022 3:23 pm I'm really happy with about 95% of what I've learned in and about this software. I want it to get better, not die.

IMO this software is dead. I don't use v4 any more and I probbly won't use it ever again. I start it only as I have so many materials dialed in there so when I use that material for first time with my new favorite slicer I run S3Dv4 to copy settings from it. Considering v4 is dead and v5 costing new money (not free upgrade) v5 is a totally new product for me. so if it is going to look like s3d, work like s3d, be released by the same team as s3d, is called s3d or something else makes no difference. It will carry the stigma of s3dv4 (no releases for years, no bugfixes, no new features, no communication with users, no free updates...) so imo they should release it under different name/company... If I'm going to purchase/use the "v5" - as I said, totally new product, just like when E3D said their Pathio slicer or whatever new comes up that is not foss ... 150 for s3d was not a big deal, I got to use it for a while, I paid over 1000 for netfabb slicer that I never used :( so in comparison s3d was a bargain :D
gcodestat integrates with Simplify3D and allow you to
Calculate print time accurately (acceleration, max speed, junction deviation all taken into consideration)
Embed M117 codes into G-Code
Upload your G-Code directly to Octoprint
open source and unlicence
myprinter

Can see the topic is going down the hill, we need it up.
Still waiting for nothing, or?

Return to “General Discussion and Tips”