driagan

Extruder stops extruding

I've recently pruchased S3D and have been running into an issue that I haven't had when using Cura before. This might be user error or maybe I don't have a setting quite right.

Basically, at some point during a 3d print, the extruder for my printer just stops moving. The printer keeps (attempting to) print, but the extruder just isn't trying to turn out filament anymore. Here's a video demonstrating this: https://youtu.be/bM2XqBu-oHU

As you may see from the video, the extruder is not spinning at all. If the filament were jammed, the extruder would still spin and just wear down the filament, but instead it's not spinning at all.

I then stopped the print and manually spun the extruder: https://youtu.be/cXDrBlJFuWA

As you can see from the second video, the filament comes out just fine if I manually spin the extruder. Furthermore, if I start another 3d print, it'll begin printing just fine.

I'm using an Ender 3 Pro with the upgraded Creality Silent Motherboard running firmware 1.1.8 and printing through OctoPrint, generating gcode from Simplify3D 4.1.2.

Does anyone know why this happens and (more importantly) how to resolve it? It's very frustrating that this will just happen mid-print, wasting my time and filament.
caaleshire

Re: Extruder stops extruding

Exactly the same issue, exact same hardware. Anyone have ideas? Printer will do just fine with the same STL file with Cura, but not with Simplify3D
S3D-Alex

We have seen reports of Ender 3's with the Silent Board upgrade having the extruder stop after some time printing. In all cases, this has been solved by going to the G-Code tab and disabling "Allow zeroing of extrusion distances".
thor171

Hi,
I know, this is old, but the problem seems to persist. I have a CR10-S clone with Marlin 1.1.9.1.
Drivers for XYZ are TMC2208 and for extruder DRV8825.
During long prints, the extruder just stops, just like driagan described it.
I disabled the "Allow zeroing of extrusion distances" option, but now I have a problem. Before starting the print, the extruder extrudes a line nearby the bed and then goes to the starting point in order to print BUT because of not zeroing, the extruder is driven backwards! It's going about 30mm back. How can I solve this without zeroing? Is there a way for setting up an extruder offset or something else?

Return to “Troubleshooting and Bug Reports”