Ripper

Newbie Question - Maybe I outsmarted myself

Tue May 19, 2020 10:52 am

I have a Creality Ender 3 Pro with Octoprint installed. Octopi gives me access to the printer wirelessly-maybe that is my downfall.

When I try to connect to the printer using the IP address within S3D, it gives me a connection error, although I have username, password, etc, all entered.

I can connect to the printer via browser, so I know the link is working. I can see on the touchscreen that the RPi is working, so not sure why I can't control the printer through S3D. Too many things for the app to go through? Looked for this topic, sorry if it was already discussed...maybe my search terms were wrong.

dkightley

Re: Newbie Question - Maybe I outsmarted myself

Tue May 19, 2020 1:27 pm

S3D has not been designed to communicate with printers by any means other than by USB serial port...with the exception of a couple of XYZ brand printers. So...communicating via network is not possible.

Not a lot else to say other than a hope that v5 will change this.
Doug Kightley
Volunteer at the National Tramway Museum http://www.tramway.co.uk
Railway modeller and webmaster at http://www.talkingtgauge.net

PatDebos

Tue May 19, 2020 1:57 pm

The advantage of OctoPi is to be able to print without the computer, so where's the interest of still using it connected ? Personally I always download the gcode on OctoPi, start the print and switch my computer off. I've got a smart plug that also switch off the printer when printing is over (after a cool down).

For the next version 5, in my opinion, it will never come up. There are too many free and excellent slicers out there. I've tried ideaMaker and it's really good, supports like Simplify3D and much more powerful features. I don't expect anyone to pay these days for a slicer.

I've been using it for years and so it was worth the money but now it's too late. Moreover, you won't see in this forum anymore new messages from Simplify3D for months which is also a sign.

If you still want to believe, light a candle ;o))

airscapes

Tue May 19, 2020 2:30 pm

Ripper wrote:
Tue May 19, 2020 10:52 am
I have a Creality Ender 3 Pro with Octoprint installed. Octopi gives me access to the printer wirelessly-maybe that is my downfall.

When I try to connect to the printer using the IP address within S3D, it gives me a connection error, although I have username, password, etc, all entered.

I can connect to the printer via browser, so I know the link is working. I can see on the touchscreen that the RPi is working, so not sure why I can't control the printer through S3D. Too many things for the app to go through? Looked for this topic, sorry if it was already discussed...maybe my search terms were wrong.
Octoprint is you print server and what is used to control the printer. S3d makes the gcode.
Slice the model with S3d, save the gcode to the computer, go to the the octoprint interface, upload the gcode from your computer to optprint and once it is done saving to the pi, click print the gocde you just uploaded and print. If you want to control the printer manually, go to the control tab and do what you need to do.. Gcode can be entered manually on the terminal tab of octoprint..

Ripper

Wed May 20, 2020 1:46 pm

Thank you for all the responses. Main reason I was looking at controlling the printer from S3D was so that I could rapidly ABORT a bad print, which is difficult using RPi apps on my smartphone. Otherwise, like others, I was not using the remote through web interface, and would have to log in to do anything. Second thing was hoping to control the printer so that the bed and extruder heated up at the same time.

Guess I will do as recommended and slice and then move to printer to print.

Thank you all again.

Return to “General Discussion and Tips”