CCDotMuncher

Qidi X-pro Poor overhangs & surface above support

I am struggling with a Qidi X-pro. I have tried Every setting variation advice that I can find. I have tried dissolvable supports which equalled a big head ache. Evan slight overhangs have poor print quality. Any surface supported bt a support has a similar poor appearance.

These pictures are from ABS Bench, but I have very similar results when I print PLA.

I have changed temperatures, layer heights, print speed. Could there be something wrong with the printer? any other thoughts?
Attachments
bench top.jpg
bench 1.jpg
Donovanjp33

Re: Qidi X-pro Poor overhangs & surface above support

I am having the exact same problem, and am at my wits end trying to resolve. Did you find a solution?

I can make it worse, but nothing I do makes it better. Overhangs 50 degrees or better warp up, then seem to push layers out in to uneven strands and gaps. If I print the file a second time, perfectly replicated distortions. I started with bone stock settings and tweaked nearly every setting I can find, one at a time.

Following other support articles I’ve read over the last year, notable things I’ve tried include:
  • Dropping the filament temp from the stock temp in five degree intervals until it fails by stripping the filament.
  • Increasing temps in five degree intervals until fail.
  • Printing the bed temp as low as off. Also starting with bed on and dropping temp five and ten lays up; dropping the second temp as low as off.
  • Stepping the print speed down as low as 200mm/min (33mm/s)
  • Increasing the print density. The warp issue gets worse, and the print is inelastic so it fails beyond 65%. Printing anywhere under 35% seems to be the cutoff for ‘best’ quality.
  • Adding support. The overhang warps up before it touches the support even with zero separation layers. Simplify does not allow negative separation layer values.
The one that baffles me is printing Defauld’s screw box. The overhang ran absolutely fine until it hit the half way point where the inside cylinder ends. The Cylinder offers no support to the overhang. The overhang attaches at one side and sticks out horizontally. This makes me think the solution may be more in line with bridging troubleshooting over looking at this as a warping issue. I haven’t had any luck on that route either.

I noticed different filaments work better or worse. I have a wood filament which works the best. It clearly warped, but didn’t string and bunch unevenly. High silks are preforming the worst.

I found Shfqrkhn’s Qidi setting .fff which fixed a lot of my issues over the stock one from simplify, but this issue persists.

Edit: Fixed it.
First,
The filament guide tube was colliding with the lid and pressing down on the extruder, which seems to only be an issue with overhangs.
Moving on to settings,
  • Fan speed to 0 and turning off the bed at layer 5 significantly helped reduce warping to near perfect prints.
  • The Simplify default value for extrusion multiplier seems to be 1.1, I dropped it to 0.9. This helped the walls not squish out, but caused pillowing, so I increased the top and bottom layers from 3 to 6.
  • I was having some z-seam issues still, so I increased the retraction distance from 1.4mm to 5mm, which helped, then increased the perimeter shell from 2 to 3, which hid all z-seam distortions but brought back the original looking issues where whole layers are kicking out.
  • I decreased the infill overlap from 20% to 0% which took stress off the walls, and dialed back the Infill extrusion width, which was defaulted at 125%, to 100%
If you are still having issues, search for articles offering support printing spheres. Those helped me narrow down some issues.

Return to “Troubleshooting and Bug Reports”