parallyze
Posts: 112
Joined: Fri Jun 05, 2015 4:18 am

Re: No supports generating

Fri Jun 26, 2020 1:46 pm

sinabu wrote:
Fri Jun 26, 2020 1:43 pm
parallyze wrote:
Fri Jun 26, 2020 1:38 pm
sinabu wrote:
Fri Jun 26, 2020 12:53 pm
Here is the Alita Head with supports in S3D
Alita Head.PNG
Support generation seems to work alright here (although for that model I'd recommend supports from the build table only).

I think Doug gave this hint recently: Opening models using the 3d builder on Win10 and saving them to .3mf might fix issues, so maybe that's worth a try!
No luck there sadly :(
Strange. Inside Slic3r that's looking good... a single shell, apparently no errors. Would love to see what a NetFabb Standard Analysis would say. Did you have a look at the output inside S3D from "Repair -> Identify Non-Manifold edges/Self Intersecting Surfaces"? If you try to "Seperate Connected Surfaces", does it tell you in the status bar the mesh already being a single connected surface?

sinabu
Posts: 15
Joined: Fri Jun 26, 2020 11:24 am

Re: No supports generating

Fri Jun 26, 2020 4:08 pm

parallyze wrote:
Fri Jun 26, 2020 1:46 pm
sinabu wrote:
Fri Jun 26, 2020 1:43 pm
parallyze wrote:
Fri Jun 26, 2020 1:38 pm


Support generation seems to work alright here (although for that model I'd recommend supports from the build table only).

I think Doug gave this hint recently: Opening models using the 3d builder on Win10 and saving them to .3mf might fix issues, so maybe that's worth a try!
No luck there sadly :(
Strange. Inside Slic3r that's looking good... a single shell, apparently no errors. Would love to see what a NetFabb Standard Analysis would say. Did you have a look at the output inside S3D from "Repair -> Identify Non-Manifold edges/Self Intersecting Surfaces"? If you try to "Seperate Connected Surfaces", does it tell you in the status bar the mesh already being a single connected surface?
Selecting Manifold says 'Model is manifold and has passed all checks'
Select the other one says 'The Selected mesh does not contain any self-intersecting surfaces'
And Trying that last one says 'The Selected mesh is already a single connected surface'

I'm not familiar with NetFabb but if there is some instructions on what to do I would be happy to try it. :)

User avatar
dkightley
Posts: 2238
Joined: Tue Mar 10, 2015 4:09 pm

Re: No supports generating

Fri Jun 26, 2020 4:46 pm

Time to demand your £7 something back!!
Doug Kightley
Volunteer at the National Tramway Museum http://www.tramway.co.uk
Railway modeller and webmaster at http://www.talkingtgauge.net

parallyze
Posts: 112
Joined: Fri Jun 05, 2015 4:18 am

Re: No supports generating

Fri Jun 26, 2020 5:16 pm

sinabu wrote:
Fri Jun 26, 2020 4:08 pm
Selecting Manifold says 'Model is manifold and has passed all checks'
Select the other one says 'The Selected mesh does not contain any self-intersecting surfaces'
And Trying that last one says 'The Selected mesh is already a single connected surface'

I'm not familiar with NetFabb but if there is some instructions on what to do I would be happy to try it. :)
Oh... somehow I was expecting some error inside S3D.... if you want to check the model with NetFabb, it's actually
really easy. The old free releases can be downloaded from here: https://github.com/3DprintFIT/netfabb-b ... d/releases

After opening netfabb, just load the STL (Project -> Add Part). Then right-click on the part inside the
3d view and select Extras -> New analysis -> Standard analysis.

It should report there as a single shell and a closed surface as well. If that's the case - the model seems to be alright and
that's a very interesting behavior there.... xD

parallyze
Posts: 112
Joined: Fri Jun 05, 2015 4:18 am

Re: No supports generating

Fri Jun 26, 2020 5:48 pm

Looking closer at your screenshot... when you rotate the view inside S3D, does it appear as some of the
models surfaces are invisible from some angles? Looks like flipped normals.... it's pretty noticeable on the
feet if you directly compare them to the sliced preview, something´s missing in normal view.

User avatar
dkightley
Posts: 2238
Joined: Tue Mar 10, 2015 4:09 pm

Re: No supports generating

Fri Jun 26, 2020 7:57 pm

Oh... somehow I was expecting some error inside S3D.... if you want to check the model with NetFabb, it's actually
really easy. The old free releases can be downloaded from here: https://github.com/3DprintFIT/netfabb-b ... d/releases

Even better......take a look here:
https://blogs.autodesk.com/netfabb/2016 ... t-netfabb/
Doug Kightley
Volunteer at the National Tramway Museum http://www.tramway.co.uk
Railway modeller and webmaster at http://www.talkingtgauge.net

sinabu
Posts: 15
Joined: Fri Jun 26, 2020 11:24 am

Re: No supports generating

Sat Jun 27, 2020 11:00 am

parallyze wrote:
Fri Jun 26, 2020 5:16 pm
sinabu wrote:
Fri Jun 26, 2020 4:08 pm
Selecting Manifold says 'Model is manifold and has passed all checks'
Select the other one says 'The Selected mesh does not contain any self-intersecting surfaces'
And Trying that last one says 'The Selected mesh is already a single connected surface'

I'm not familiar with NetFabb but if there is some instructions on what to do I would be happy to try it. :)
Oh... somehow I was expecting some error inside S3D.... if you want to check the model with NetFabb, it's actually
really easy. The old free releases can be downloaded from here: https://github.com/3DprintFIT/netfabb-b ... d/releases

After opening netfabb, just load the STL (Project -> Add Part). Then right-click on the part inside the
3d view and select Extras -> New analysis -> Standard analysis.

It should report there as a single shell and a closed surface as well. If that's the case - the model seems to be alright and
that's a very interesting behavior there.... xD
Here are the results from NetFabb
Netfabb.PNG

sinabu
Posts: 15
Joined: Fri Jun 26, 2020 11:24 am

Re: No supports generating

Sat Jun 27, 2020 11:01 am

parallyze wrote:
Fri Jun 26, 2020 5:48 pm
Looking closer at your screenshot... when you rotate the view inside S3D, does it appear as some of the
models surfaces are invisible from some angles? Looks like flipped normals.... it's pretty noticeable on the
feet if you directly compare them to the sliced preview, something´s missing in normal view.
Yeah thats what I was mentioning regarding it looking funny, Like surfaces was missing but when you look at the sliced view it looked complete

parallyze
Posts: 112
Joined: Fri Jun 05, 2015 4:18 am

Re: No supports generating

Sat Jun 27, 2020 11:44 am

sinabu wrote:
Sat Jun 27, 2020 11:01 am
parallyze wrote:
Fri Jun 26, 2020 5:48 pm
Looking closer at your screenshot... when you rotate the view inside S3D, does it appear as some of the
models surfaces are invisible from some angles? Looks like flipped normals.... it's pretty noticeable on the
feet if you directly compare them to the sliced preview, something´s missing in normal view.
Yeah thats what I was mentioning regarding it looking funny, Like surfaces was missing but when you look at the sliced view it looked complete
Ah, okay. So technically the model is alright, it really looks like the normals are facing inwards. It's some kind of "definition to the objects surface, which side of it can be seen". So in 3d view you're always seeing the inside of the object while the normals facing the camera disapper/are invisible. I didn't come across such a model yet... :D

If you're willing to install yet another tool, you might want to give "Meshmixer" a go. It has a feature to "flip normals", here's short tutorial on how to do this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pa9R-gPUNwg

I'm pretty convinced this would fix the problems with 3d view/support generation.

The old release from netfabb I'm using doesn't offer this. It may be different for what Doug has posted, taking a closer look at his hint now... ^^

parallyze
Posts: 112
Joined: Fri Jun 05, 2015 4:18 am

Re: No supports generating

Sat Jun 27, 2020 11:50 am

dkightley wrote:
Fri Jun 26, 2020 7:57 pm
Even better......take a look here:
https://blogs.autodesk.com/netfabb/2016 ... t-netfabb/
Thanks for the tip! Didn't know they changed this. But two things make me wonder:

1. When trying to download I'm only offered the choice between commercial user or student/teacher. First one requires a Autodesk account to login, second one sends you to the education community and then requires a login, too.
2. The download according to the website is about 3 GB, which seems a LOT compared to 10 MB for the old one... :D

Tempted to give F360 a go, so it's good to know about changes to netfabb (F360 would require an Autodesk account anyways).

OT: Isn't it scary how Autodesk got hold of almost anything 3d related over the past 10-15 years? o,O

Return to “Troubleshooting and Bug Reports”