JSmith1717

Re: OK, Time to Start Yet Another "Where is Version 5? " Thread

I opened my Simplify3d and it said updating software, then software updated, i was like OMG did 5.0 finally come out. nope still at 4.1.2, got my hopes up for nothing.
S3D-Jake

JSmith1717 wrote: I opened my Simplify3d and it said updating software, then software updated, i was like OMG did 5.0 finally come out. nope still at 4.1.2, got my hopes up for nothing.
This will happen each time you open the software if you have "check for updates on startup" enabled. You can find this setting in the Tools > Options menu. V5 is currently undergoing development and internal testing.
TomOH wrote: I don't think there is anything left of that "company". No updates in 2+ years, not even bug fixes, no announcements about what is going on, just a handful of people on Linkedin who claim Simplify3d as an employer, I bet their office in Blue Ash is abandoned too.
The only reason why they have to keep their servers running is to lure more buyers with the "brand new 4.xx version" in and to maintain the activation server, without that one, there would be plenty of ugly lawsuits the owner would have to fight...

Their profile here says it all:
Contact Simplify3D
PM:Send private message
User statistics
Joined:Sun Feb 10, 2013 8:28 pm Last active:Thu Jul 30, 2020 10:27 am Total posts:304 | Search user’s posts
(0.64% of all posts / 0.10 posts per day)
Blue Ash, OH employee checking in! We're here and we're working hard on testing and development. I don't have dates or exact features to preview but I'm hopeful we'll be able to share something more concrete with everyone here as soon as we can.

Also, on the Simplify3D account's activity, we have a team of moderators active on these forums now. The "Simplify3D" account will likely only be getting used going forward to make official announcements or similar types of posts.
stefi01 wrote: my only questions is simply. why do they ignore us when we ask about updates or any question for that matter, is there no staff left, like someone must be paying for this site to be up and running, only want a simple answer to will there be a version 5, yes or no
It is not my mine or our moderation team's goal to ignore you guys. There are some questions that our team doesn't have concrete information to share just yet. Though, I can assure you, yes, there will be a V5.
"A bird does not sing because it has an answer. It sings because it has a song."
sage2050

How serendipitous that I would think to check back today.

Surely you can see how that does not inspire confidence. What will 5.0 offer at this point to justify the hefty license fee over free slicers? Why should I and others have to pay again for 5.0 when we purchased our licenses when release was "a few months away"? Why has there been so little communication over the last two years?
M_Preggi

Nice, Jake has "answerded" once again :o . The question is now; will he continue to wiggle out of questions or will ge go to hibernation for another 6 months?
Bets can be placed now!

Kidding aside, I really like S3D in it's current state, but it the whole announcement and promising of v5 is just not okay.
Also "new! Simplify3d version 4.1 just released" and "see what's new" and "Login to download the new upgrade" is a little outdated now. Just saying...
Glasofruix

S3D-Jake wrote: Tue Oct 26, 2021 12:32 pm It is not my mine or our moderation team's goal to ignore you guys. There are some questions that our team doesn't have concrete information to share just yet. Though, I can assure you, yes, there will be a V5.
Hahahahaha ! I highly doubt it.
TomOH

LOL - Jake, do you really believe what you post here?? That would make a total of one on this planet.

You guys f..ed up your opportunity to become and stay the market leader in the 3D-slicer field and arrogance, incompetence (in business management) and total lack of reliability when it came to any announcements got you there. Now your competition is ahead of what you have to offer and in best case you get on par with 100% free software that is even supported and being updated on a regular basis .... and which most likely now has a much larger user base than S3D.

I still use S3D as it still does what I need it to do, however I really don't like the "New version yadi yada trallala" bla bla to sell an unsupported and outdated version to the market. Looks greedy at best, but on the other hand, S3D's reputation is already so far down the drain that you probably don't care anymore.

Best of luck, I seriously doubt that it will have any market traction if there ever was a new version coming out - you guys messed your market up.
jfkansas

sage2050 wrote: Wed Oct 27, 2021 7:53 am How serendipitous that I would think to check back today.

Surely you can see how that does not inspire confidence. What will 5.0 offer at this point to justify the hefty license fee over free slicers? Why should I and others have to pay again for 5.0 when we purchased our licenses when release was "a few months away"? Why has there been so little communication over the last two years?
I'd say S3d still has the best support of pre configured profiles. However some of the newest printers aren't there since no updates. Built in GPX for printers using the X3g format still is nice. User since 2014, I've loaded up some other slicers and always come back to S3d.
Danieldownload

@smcandrew check out PrusaSlicer, there is no (performance) advantage on the S3D side anymore nor in the future. I used S3D for years too but after 6 months of PrusaSlicer, and I don't own a Prusa printer, there is no way back.

Anyway, best of luck to S3D.
gwhite

I am now using PrusaSlicer quite a bit, but it is missing a lot of nice features that S3D has. The S3D control panel is still what I use to change filaments, and the ability to set a start location with coordinates is another. It's also much easier to print a series of test articles, each with a slightly different process (temperature, retrac6tion, etc.), or jobs requiring multiple processes for different layers.

Splitting job parameters across multiple (sometimes arbitrary) sets is confusing & limiting in PS. For example, why is the retraction a printer setting? I have to change it for every filament if I want the best quality prints.

If I just want to print something that I'm not too fussy about, PS works OK. PS also handles thin walls & features with a better filling algorithm.

The reason I still hang out here is that I really still want a Version 5 of S3D. My biggest concern (if it ever does come out) is that the company is clearly being run by somebody without a clue about managing software projects and customer communication. I am REALLY tired of being lied to and treated like a child. A class action law suit might get their attention, but it wouldn't get us software any faster, and would only enrich the lawyers.
S3D-Jake

Thanks to everyone for their questions, comments, and continued interest in V5.
sage2050 wrote: Wed Oct 27, 2021 7:53 am ...What will 5.0 offer at this point to justify the hefty license fee over free slicers? ...
Glasofruix wrote:
S3D-Jake wrote: Tue Oct 26, 2021 12:32 pm ...Though, I can assure you, yes, there will be a V5.
Hahahahaha ! I highly doubt it.
gwhite wrote: ...The reason I still hang out here is that I really still want a Version 5 of S3D....
I'm not able to share the feature list coming to V5 just yet. Our testing team has been really geeking over a lot of what they're seeing. I hope that when we are able to share more publicly about the features included in V5 that you will feel similarly excited.
sage2050 wrote: Wed Oct 27, 2021 7:53 am ...Why should I and others have to pay again for 5.0 when we purchased our licenses when release was "a few months away"? ...
I understand that this is a large point of contention for a lot of our newer users. Obviously there are multiple avenues that can be pursued in order to handle upgrade eligibility and pricing. I would look to the current wording on our FAQs, linked just below, if any assumptions are to be made before an official announcement is made.
https://www.simplify3d.com/support/faq/#quest-6261
"A bird does not sing because it has an answer. It sings because it has a song."

Return to “General Discussion and Tips”