Alan

Malyan M180 3D Desktop printer ?

Tue Oct 21, 2014 9:22 pm

Has anyone out there had ANY experience with this Chinese manufactured ??? 3D printer ?

helmutdz

Re: Malyan M180 3D Desktop printer ?

Fri Dec 05, 2014 3:08 pm

I myself use a clone of M180. This is of pearl 3D FreeSculpt.
Maybe I can help, yes. what is your problem.
3D Printer in use 3D FreeSculpt EX2 dual head (malyan M180).

acefx

Mon Dec 08, 2014 7:11 am

Hello,
I just bought an Pearl/ freesculpt EX2 ( whitch is a malyan m180)
and i'm a bit lost in using it . I'm a totally newb in 3d printing but i'm a graphist ( job).

In fact the EX2 came with a poor manual, without any information about Z calibration and seems to use Replicatorg and makerware with some patch to get the machine preset.
Do you know where i could find some tutorial about it , because i'm a bit lost.

Per example, i succeed in printing the 20mm calibration square ( with some bad square angle but well ) and the dice ( present on the sdcard)
but when i try to print a model found on thingiverse , the machine get crazy and go directly with Z down and the printer head banging on the opposite wall ( where there isn't limit switch).
Maybe for all people who bought this chinese replicator copy, it could be a good idea to make up a wiki ...

Are you ok with that ?

acefx

Wed Dec 10, 2014 11:01 am

Ok , i've been doing some "trial & error" with this printer and my first feeling are " shit , why do i've ordered susch a chinese bad copy"
But Well like we say in france "contre mauvaise fortune, bon coeur" and i try to improve the shitty support of this product ...

The printer is sold under many name
FreesculT ex2
malyansys m180
malyansys m300 (different chassis, but same hardware)

The mainboard works on a fork of 7.06 sailfish firmware.
it has been customised for hardware changes :
1. Add color LCD support, based our uart protocol.
2. Changed some default parameter including Z-axis resolution (1600 steps/mm).
3. Add compatible mode for Makerware. Changing profile for Z-axis is not needed for Makerware.
4. Add some small feature like: auto shutdown platform when Z > 10mm.
5. Use CPU io port to control Vref for X/Y/Z axis instead of digipot.
6. Automatic start printing when upload x3g though wifi-SD card.

--------------------------------------------------------
The first problems i had was comunicating with the printer, the correct driver is a chinese ch304 usb to serial.
Here's the link
http://www.wch.cn/downloads.php?name=pro&proid=5
Or a google drive sharing here
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B5okZr ... sp=sharing

This driver, makes me think that the whole machine could be driven by a DCcduino as described here ( http://javacolors.blogspot.fr/2014/08/d ... ipset.html )

The second main problem was to understand how to drive and with what kind of software, because i'm totally new to the 3d printing.
The printer is delivered with an SD card with a modified version of ReplicatorG 040 who identify the printer as an malyansys m180
It seems that they wiped others printers profiles in the software to only let the malyansys m180 and the w150 ( the single extruder one )

Let be clear, replicatorG is not a " user friendly " printer software, especialy for newb not used to Gcode.
So i've been digging a while on the net and i found that on the malyan website, they offer a modifed version of makerbot makerware 2.40 with a patch to modify the printer profile and make the m180 identify as a makerbot replicator dual.
here is the link : http://malyansys.com/support/download/
I've been comparing the profile to see the difference between the patched one and the original version.( in fact the software is stock and their "crack like patch" just copy some python mod and of course the .json Profiles
Many parameters as the motors step, extruder speed and printbed surface differs.

So ! what's the point now ?
I'm going to make a corrected and calibrated profile for this printer, and try to describe the many mod i've done to make it work" properly "
Once the info are wrote, i will make a wiki for poor users like me

Ok So since i don't know the hardware specs let see the difference in the profile ( if there is ...)
Yes there is : i let the experts tell me if they are significant & how to tune it.
ReplicatorG hardware settings for m180.

Code: Select all

<axis id="x" length="230" maxfeedrate="18000" homingfeedrate="2500" stepspermm="92.36" endstops="max"/>  <!-- Pulley dia: 10.82mm / 1/8 step = 1/(10.82 * pi / 1600) -->
<axis id="y" length="150" maxfeedrate="18000" homingfeedrate="2500" stepspermm="92.36" endstops="max"/>  <!-- Pulley dia: 10.82mm / 1/8 step = 1/(10.82 * pi / 1600) -->
<axis id="z" length="165" maxfeedrate="600" homingfeedrate="600" stepspermm="1600" endstops="min"/> <!-- Actual length is 157mm, we reserve ~5mm for safety. TR-8x8 Z axis = 1/(8/1600) -->
<axis id="a" length="100000" maxfeedrate="1600" stepspermm="100" endstops="none"/> <!-- stepspermm is incoming filament length, see comment at bottom for explanation -->
<axis id="b" length="100000" maxfeedrate="1600" stepspermm="100" endstops="none"/>
Makerware hardware settings for m180

"X" : { "platform_length" : 230, "max_feedrate"  : 12450, "steps_per_mm"  : 92.5},
"Y" : { "platform_length" : 140, "max_feedrate"  : 12450, "steps_per_mm"  : 92.5},
"Z" : { "platform_length"  : 165, "max_feedrate"  : 800,    "steps_per_mm"  : 1600},
"A" : { "max_feedrate"  : 1600, "steps_per_mm"  : -96.275},
"B" : { "max_feedrate"  : 1600, "steps_per_mm"  : -96.275},
Ok , so the settings are pretty differents, my question to expert, how to verify whitch one are good ?? ( maybe a little both of them )

To be continued
Last edited by acefx on Fri Dec 19, 2014 10:58 am, edited 3 times in total.

acefx

Wed Dec 10, 2014 11:02 am

Hardware Mods and repairs
Todo list:
- Mod the bed leveling system, the 3 screw system seems to me a bit... hazardous. there is already some holes in the bed platform to make a 4 or 5 point fix system.
- Create a fan duct blower adapter to cool down hanged filament.
- Lexan panel on the side, to preserve the printing from fresh air and stabilise temp inside the printer.
- Improved led light system to light up the extruder zone and not only the case.

FIRST OF ALL : The installation video tutorial
http://youtu.be/3In5gOq1D2Y

1. Extruder height
Well yes , the first point i noticed was that both extruders were not at the same height ( ?!!? what ?!!?)
Yep , the extruder height as an 0.3mm height offset, be sure to check about this because i wasn't able to calibrate the X & y offset during the inbuild calibration program the left one was squeeching the filament, the right one almost printed in the air. to do that, you must disassemble the print head and check with a caliper the distance between the two head from the base.
Here a video about ajusting extruder Physical height. http://youtu.be/LzDGWj2dq1c

2.Bed clip
My first disapointement was the glass bed sliding around during second layer printing on large piece , the thickness of bed + glass is 4.72mm ( caliper mesure )
The second reason why you need it is that the heating surface is bended and not as straight as your glass !
I've downloaded some 5mm bed clip but well, they aren't the perfect match, so i'm going to design myself.
the model link will be here,
for now your can pickup these one http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:152976/#files
if needed, heat them up with a lighter and force a little bit the bend for the clip to be effective.
Don't worry of the final result, the model is poorly designed and the result leave some hole in the top. but it works ok for printing good ones
After that, the heating target temp will be 75C and need to be cut off after the second layer.
Last edited by acefx on Thu Dec 11, 2014 1:27 pm, edited 6 times in total.

acefx

Wed Dec 10, 2014 11:02 am

Software Mod & and correction.

Compatible version of MakerBot with patch file from Ukrainian distributor
MakerBot-makerware 3.4.0.42 http://fano.kiev.ua/Malyan-M180/MakerBot-3.4.0.42.zip
MakerBot-makerware 3.4.1.48 http://fano.kiev.ua/Malyan-M180/MakerBot-3.4.1.48.zip
MakerBot-makerware 3.4.1.48R2 http://fano.kiev.ua/Malyan-M180/MakerBo ... .48-r2.zip
Download the version from makerBot & replace the files with patched ones

Latest firmware update : v 7.8 realeased
Changelog :
.Better handling of extruder temperature.
.Vref state speeded up to correct "First command after Vref default bug"
.Better driving of stepper motor ( less noisy )

PM if interested.

TODO :
- Establish a correct profile for the printer, with good value, since they differs from one to another depending the software profile i have.
- Use makerware as the main software and port the M180 profiles and value to new version of the software since we are stuck on 2.40 for now (eg.3.40)( or maybe on another software )
- Create a simplify3d compatibility !!! /!\
- create a heatbed calibration Gcode for all M180 owner could do the calibration easily.
- Your suggestions.
Last edited by acefx on Sun Jan 04, 2015 6:12 am, edited 3 times in total.

helmutdz

Wed Dec 10, 2014 6:00 pm

acefx wrote:Hardware Mods and repairs

1. Extruder height
Well yes , the first point i noticed was that both extruders were not at the same height ( ?!!? what ?!!?)
Yep , the extruder height as an 0.3mm height offset, be sure to check about this because i wasn't able to calibrate the X & y offset during the inbuild calibration program the left one was squeeching the filament, the right one almost printed in the air. to do that, you must disassemble the print head and check with a caliper the distance between the two head from the base.
I had exactly the same.

I also equal to the nozzle change 0.35 to 0.4 mm
3D Printer in use 3D FreeSculpt EX2 dual head (malyan M180).

habloIngles

Wed Dec 10, 2014 8:19 pm

I suggested a friend of mine to get s3d and he just bought the Malyan printer as well. Didn't seem to work with s3d, but he contacted support and got a few files from them

In the Malyan zip folder you'll find 3 profiles and a gpx.ini file. The gpx.ini file should go into the directory where s3d is installed, in the same folder the gpx file that comes with s3d is located.

Then import the three profiles, use right for right extruder only prints, the left profile for left extruder only prints and both for dual extrusion prints.

in the scripts tab, make sure the create x3g option is unchecked and in the post process command enter one of the scripts below

Windows :

[install_dir]\gpx [output_filepath]
Mac :

[install_dir]/gpx [output_filepath]
Then slice a model, and hit save tool paths to disk. If everything is done properly, s3d should save a .gcode and a .x3g file. use the .x3g file for your Malyan printer.
Attachments
Malyan.zip
(10.81 KiB) Downloaded 581 times

acefx

Thu Dec 11, 2014 4:16 am

Yesterday , i wrote to s3d support and they gave me that files to, but for now it doesn't work... the extruder doesn't go to the center and doesn't do the wait for heat up and the first "waste" extrude, instead of that it begin to print where it is...

++Added some harware mods

habloIngles

Thu Dec 11, 2014 9:33 am

acefx wrote:Yesterday , i wrote to s3d support and they gave me that files to, but for now it doesn't work... the extruder doesn't go to the center and doesn't do the wait for heat up and the first "waste" extrude, instead of that it begin to print where it is...

++Added some harware mods
Have you tried the zip folder I included above? It's working for my friend who has a Malyan M180

Return to “General Discussion and Tips”