Page 1 of 1

"Bridge" instead of solid layer

Posted: Thu Nov 26, 2020 7:05 pm
by Ottdave
Occasionally, when I go to preview mode the bottom of the model shows a bridge inside the perimeter instead of a green solid layer, and typically ends up as failed print. How do I get a solid layer when I get this. See the "Eindecker Pilot" model in the attached photo for an example. Thanks for your help.

Re: "Bridge" instead of solid layer

Posted: Thu Nov 26, 2020 7:43 pm
by parallyze
Ottdave wrote: ↑Thu Nov 26, 2020 7:05 pm How do I get a solid layer when I get this.
Move the object down along the Z axis ("into" the bed), it doesn't have a flat surface at the bottom. Is it a free model one can have a look at somewhere?

Re: "Bridge" instead of solid layer

Posted: Thu Nov 26, 2020 8:57 pm
by Ottdave
Thanks for the response Parallyze. I guess I don't know how to lowere the model into the bed. I "dropped the model to the table (Command L) but that didn't help. The Model can be seen on Thingiverse: https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2845436. It's the model without arms. I made some changes to the size of the model after downloading into S3d.

Re: "Bridge" instead of solid layer

Posted: Thu Nov 26, 2020 9:10 pm
by Ottdave
Success, I found the video that shows how to lower the model and it took care of the problem. Thanks, again for the help.

Re: "Bridge" instead of solid layer

Posted: Fri Nov 27, 2020 9:12 am
by parallyze
Ottdave wrote: ↑Thu Nov 26, 2020 8:57 pm I "dropped the model to the table (Command L) but that didn't help. The Model can be seen on Thingiverse: https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2845436. It's the model without arms.
Using the CTRL/COMMAND-L feature is a great and quick way to place objects, sadly the model does have some "bumps" at the bottom. So depending on what face you select to place on the bed the model might even be rotated by a few degrees.
Looking at the model it looks like it's been smoothed inside MeshMixer. Things like this happen when people get too close to the edge of a model
when smoothing.

Another way of fixing this is by using a free tool (like MeshMixer*) and use it's "Plane Cut" feature. But a small move along -Z often is enough, great you got it working :)

*Some slicers also have a plane cut feature. And some won't even allow moving an object freely along Z, so it's always a good idea to get used
to a small tool for small fixes like this