TomOH

Re: Giving Up on S3D

This company is dead - why do you still bother? They don't even care enough to post more lies about the next version that is in the works...
aanderson81

I'm pretty sure They've let all their staff go and there is the owner and maybe an employee to make sure the site and the Credit Card processing gateway is up still. They don't even seem to really bother the "fake" "oh how would you like to see this feature implemented" replies in the feature request sub in a year or so that I can see.
gwarokk

I think s3d is good to have in my toolbox, I will use the multiple processes for some more difficult prints and the supports are STILL easier to remove (for me) than any other slicer. I paid for it, might as well use it. But yea, I'm not holding my breath for a v5.
stormtrooperguy

I've been using simplify3d for years now and have always loved it. I'm a Mac user, and really want an M1 native build. Eventually I'll be forced to take the time to get used to Cura or PrusaSlicer and give up on this one. I hope not, but this is just silly.
juliushamilton

I recently joined this forum to learn and satisfy my interest in 3D printers. I hope I should not be discouraged by this thread :)
guru_florida

Yeah, I'm moving to a new printer and switching to Klipper. Might as well try the other slicers. No update in 3 years?!?! :( I really like S3D but other slicers have some new features I'd like, like surface ironing. I've been waiting a long time for a v5.
kb0nly

Update or not Simplify3D still just works for me, thats what i need, software that works. I can go from F360 to S3D with two mouse clicks, select which printer i want to slice for, i have multple makes and models that all have different purposes, and then save to SD card and go start a printer and walk away. That's what i need, click click print. I tried Cura and PrusaSlicer, Cura was a pile of hot garbage, i spent two weeks trying to get a clean print with it that S3D can do in a few mouse clicks, gave up on it. PrusaSlicer seems good if you have an overpriced Prusa printer, i mean come on their printers are easily four times what they are really worth for their price, but if you don't have a Prusa printer then it don't work that great because their software is really geared towards their printers, which is understandable.

I tried a few other free softwares, free is right, they work if you got countless hours and days to screw around with them to get a decent print, i don't have that kind of time to waste. Every printer i have required maybe 2-3 test prints to fine tune with S3D, pick the stock profile, adjust temp and speeds, maybe set a few other things to my liking, and then just print for years... Easy as that. Until some free software can compete on that level i really don't care, the 4.1.2 version of S3D still works, i just added a couple new printers this year and it took minutes to get the profiles running for them. The free software doesn't even know these new printers exist.
doug_scott

At the very least they should remove the "free upgrades for one year" from the feature list or be a stand-up company and offer a refund to all customers that did not get the free upgrade to the already 2+ years overdue v5 upgrade that was listed prior to purchase of v4 version. It is obvious they cannot meet the free upgrade to v5 as promised (or at least advertised) within the one year of purchase. We are all aware of the pandemic, in so much as we are also aware that the easiest type of industry to operate on the "work from home" environment is the software creation industry. If you are going to blame the delay on the pandemic, then this company is being micromanaged and will never be able to complete a new version with so many new features that it is not even an "update or upgrade" but is more like a completely new version with no upgrade path available.
finchalex

I looked at IdeaMaker briefly, but there wasn't a ton of info on how to set it up for other brands of machines.

I have PrusaSlicer working, but it took a couple days to figure out all the configuration details just to get a basic print from it on my MakerGear M2E.

I still have a long way to go before I am as comfortable with it as I am with S3D.

At least I have a viable fall back option if S3D goes totally belly up, especially if their "phone-home" license server goes away.

Return to “General Discussion and Tips”