VideoRay

Order of Printing Multiple Parts

Is there no control over the order that parts are printed of multiple parts?

I have a part that I can fit 9 of on my print bed. Back left is #1, going right is #2, #3, coming forward one row to the middle row is #4, going left is #5, #6, coming forward to the front row is #7, going right is #8, #9 as defined by the model names in the models window.

Right now the file slices in a random order which results in some very long runs from one part to the next. This sequence is repeated with each layer. This causes some oozing with the TPU I'm using with these long runs. I've done all I can to minimize the oozing with the available settings but I still get some blobs that form.

I would like to see it go 1 to 9 the first layer then 9 to 1 the second layer and keep reversing with each layer.
Attachments
72382.png
tonyno

Re: Order of Printing Multiple Parts

Try Layer tab, Print islands sequentially.
VideoRay

Thank you for the suggestion but unfortunately that does not work. Still a jumbled order of printing.

Strangely though, after I unchecked the box for that option and then resliced the file it appears to be doing a better job of going from one part to the one immediately next to it and upon layer change staying on the part it just finished in the previous layer.

The order is now 7,8,5,6,1,2,3,4,9 lift to next layer,9,8,7,6,5,4,3,2,1,lift to next layer,1,2,5,6,7,8,9,4,3,...

So it looks very much like it is at least jumping to nearest part and the long runs over multiple parts appear to have been eliminated.

But it only gets so far through the layers and then it starts to jump around again. It starting jumping around at 1.5mm height. It will start to jump clear across the bed to get to the next part at times but still is doing better going to another part immediately adjacent to the part whose layer it just finished.

I am truly curious how the slicer source code works to determine which part it will go to next. There are ways to use the number of pieces on the bed, then start counting up then down to direct which piece the slicer is carving up. As long as the slicer knows which copy of the part is where on the bed and those pats are arranged in a coherent sequence it seems like it should be a simple function to get it to follow a pattern.

Which probably all goes out the window if the bed is full of different parts...
parallyze

VideoRay wrote: Thu Nov 04, 2021 10:14 am But it only gets so far through the layers and then it starts to jump around again. It starting jumping around at 1.5mm height.
There's two processes in your screenshot - any chance you're slicing using both and did only change the setting for one of them?
airscapes

remove the center model so you have a circle
dkightley

Read this article, particularly the third part.

https://www.simplify3d.com/support/arti ... -printing/
Doug Kightley
Volunteer at the National Tramway Museum http://www.tramway.co.uk
Railway modeller and webmaster at http://www.talkingtgauge.net
VideoRay

parallyze wrote: Thu Nov 04, 2021 1:55 pm
VideoRay wrote: Thu Nov 04, 2021 10:14 am But it only gets so far through the layers and then it starts to jump around again. It starting jumping around at 1.5mm height.
There's two processes in your screenshot - any chance you're slicing using both and did only change the setting for one of them?
No, I changed all the setting for the process I used. There's 2 processes from a previous job where I did a split at a higher level for a part. But I did go through all the settings before slicing this part under discussion.

Thanks1
VideoRay

airscapes wrote: Thu Nov 04, 2021 6:35 pm remove the center model so you have a circle
I'll take a look at that possibility but I need 9 of these for each finished unit I am making with them. To lose one would mean I have to make multiple runs to complete my product. These are battery "positioners" for a special type battery I am working on.

Thank you!
VideoRay

dkightley wrote: Fri Nov 05, 2021 5:13 am Read this article, particularly the third part.

https://www.simplify3d.com/support/arti ... -printing/
I did read through that but that would also require spreading my parts out making me do multiple runs to make enough for my product. At that point I could just do one at a time and they would come out perfect but I could not get a full set done in a shift. As it stands now, I can start a run at 8 in the morning, and another at 8 PM and get two full batches each day.

At this point with the latest slicing efforts, I am getting much better results if you look at the attached picture. 9 parts on the bed, and about an 11 hour run. Minimal long runs. On the left is how they come out when the slicer moves to the adjacent part. On the right is when the slicer is jumping randomly with long runs. You can see the amount of build up I get which needs to be cleared out. And with TPU, that's a bit of a pain and time consuming. With the ones on the left, a quick pass with a butane torch will clear out any fine stringing which I cannot completely eliminate as yet.

It seems like its something that should be able to be controlled but I have no knowledge of the Slicer GCode generating process. Optimization of the moves by hand would be the only way for me to absolutely perfect the file to my desires. As long as I can continue to get the results I am currently getting I guess I can live with it.

Thank you!

Return to “General Discussion and Tips”