perry4916

Re: Will there ever be any updates?

this program is pretty much dead.. it's a shame...
RoboDLC

chelseaRocks wrote: Mon Aug 08, 2022 10:05 am Check this response from an ex-employee on reddit
https://www.reddit.com/r/Simplify3D/com ... &context=3
That is pretty definitive. They closed their commercial space and have no new address registered with the SoS in their state.
That is pretty sad, I use S3D for complex builds and dual filament prints, CURA totally sucks at multi filament controls. is there any other slicer that handles complex prints like S3D's multi-process setups? CURA is also dog slow at most things, but it handles network connections like Octoprint and Duet fantastically. CURA also has tree supports - This alone keeps me using it. I have tried some other slicers, and found that they often network to their own hardware well but not at all to RepRap stuff that isn't bound to the printer hardware company. The sophisticated slicers with halfway decent GUI's are quite complex and do not hold your hand as well as S3D did with a new user. This makes them a bit daunting. S3D's tutorials were really informative, does any other slicer offer tutorials that good?

I am a die hard S3D fan, but with this information in the link above, I think that it is time to move on before their servers go dark and the software stops allowing license transfers.

be well,
DLC
D. Clark
Robotics and sensors engineer
And lots of other stuff for fun.
gcreate3d

I mean a business search brought this up. So who knows.

https://businesssearch.ohiosos.gov?=bus ... ls/2166324
jaymcd

This looks like a very old comment. While I agree nothing seems to be happeing and no communication is THE WORST, better to have real info rather than stale maybe.
terryb

Version 4.1.2 has a copyright notice dated 2019. 3 years ago. Going on 4. I just paid for this thing a few months ago. If version 5 comes out and I don't get an upgrade I will, to put it mildly, go ballistic! So, will there be an update anytime soon?
Instrumentation

terryb wrote: Sun Sep 25, 2022 2:05 pm I will, to put it mildly, go ballistic!
Better start getting your coping strategies in place. We got this software for a printer at work a little less than a year ago, and I have had several people ask me about it. I tell them S3D has some really great features, but it is no longer in active development. It's a shame, really. I'm mostly concerned about the day when the activation server goes offline. Until then, I will continue to use it.
sfraden

S3D-Jake wrote: Mon Nov 22, 2021 12:50 pm Can you be more specific? Are you asking if there will be a software update at all or are you asking for an update on the progress towards said software update? Either way you slice it, the answer is yes. :o

Version 5.0 is still under active development and testing. More information will be shared regarding the new features it offers as we get closer to finalizing the release date.
That was 2 YEARS ago....WTF People !
stormtrooperguy

I saw that S3D-Jake was active here recently... does that maybe mean that this company is coming out of hibernation? I keep dragging my heels on moving to a different slicer in hopes of 5.x finally coming. Maybe?
TomOH

What are all these questions about a new version? The company is DEAD. Like "lights out, nobody gives a shit" dead. There is no office location, there is no employee, and the only thing that you will get here is a comment from the founder who seems to have a medical marijuana card and lives in a different universe when you read his idiotic comments.
RoboDLC

TomOH wrote: Sat Dec 03, 2022 7:26 am What are all these questions about a new version? The company is DEAD. Like "lights out, nobody gives a shit" dead. There is no office location, there is no employee, and the only thing that you will get here is a comment from the founder who seems to have a medical marijuana card and lives in a different universe when you read his idiotic comments.
Medical marijuana card... Pretty good, I got a chuckle out of that one. :)
I wouldn't say nobody cares, we'd all like to see what was promised...three years ago. S3D still works fine, so long as its servers stay up and our licenses continue to work. Those could go down any day I suppose.
We still have CURA and a dozen other slicers that are harder to read than doctor's signature, and they are all getting better.
I keep looking for the next great thing, but nothing Earth shattering has come from anyone else yet.

Anyway, don't hold your breath, S3D has pretty much gone belly up, much the shame.

DLC
D. Clark
Robotics and sensors engineer
And lots of other stuff for fun.

Return to “General Discussion and Tips”