parallyze

Re: Will there ever be any updates?

SimpleScott wrote: Sat Jun 18, 2022 8:25 pm it would have to contain some REALLY, REALLY SPECIAL STUFF to get me to even try it. "Fool me once" and all that.
That's the reason why I'm pretty sure I won't buy v5, even if it was priced at $9.99 for an upgrade. Look at the past,
tell me how unlikely it is to end up with something that companies like Adobe did years ago... yes, check out the
new version - and at the same time, loose your v4 license, so you will never ever work locally again.

Slicing-as-a-Service.

I can see the online shop in my mind. Offering heart shaped infill patterns for only $0.99 *

* (only up to temperatures of 230°C, otherwise you'll require the ULTRA-HIGH-TEMPERATURE-OPTION, $1.49/mth)

As far as I can tell they don't even bother to "release" new user accounts on this forum more than 1-2 times a month.
Imagine just having bought this product, posting on the forum and not seeing your post going live for 3 weeks... ^^

Probably one of the reasons why many people stopped answering at all - there's no point in answering something a
new user has asked 3-4 weeks ago, he's probably long gone.... ^^
silveroranges

I have checked back every month or so for the last few years to see if there is an update. At this point if it doesn't have some sort of non-planar printing features I wouldn't be interested, or the ability to add a rotary axis or similar.

I just checked their linked-in and it seems they are still trying to hire for C++ programmers, and a PHP programmer that has experience in webapp frameworks. I'd be willing to bet that any release will require an internet connection much like Fusion 360, which is fine with me if it has significant capabilities. I also would say one of the difficulties they are facing is requiring people to work from office, which isn't very popular right now.

What I was wondering is how a company is able to stay afloat with with what I am guessing is dwindling income from the sales of their software, I wouldn't doubt if they had some deep pockets funding their company (the CEO used to work for GE according to his linked-in) while they develop the software.

Hopefully they end up pushing the envelope!
danharcombe

Yes a new version is still well due.

Any updates on this Jake?
Ctrl-Alt-Rage

I was on the fence with buying S3D so I made an account here. After seeing this thread and no one from S3D replying really at all is disheartening.

It seems it mag be better to stick with a free alternative for now before shelling out $150 bucks.
chelseaRocks

Check this response from an ex-employee on reddit
https://www.reddit.com/r/Simplify3D/com ... &context=3
trengtor

Hawe you any news? )
waternut13134

Well its almost been a year since this post was made, and well over a year since 5.0 was announced and still radio silence. I just wanted to bump this post so if anyone was interested in buying S3D to have them reconsider and stay away. I have been using S3D since 2014 and it was the best slicer around hands down, however in recent years Cura has caught up and blown by S3D, Cura has way more options and I find the prints come out better, I will say S3D does have the better UI hands down.

Even if S3D does come out with 5.0 I will not buy it just for the fact that they have been treating us, leaving us in the dark with no response with 5.0, no updates adding new features to at least bring it on par with the other slicers. In the current state this just feels like its abandon software.
jeand

I lost faith 2 years ago.
myprinter

Sorry to say, its dead software.
EchoAlpha

waternut13134 wrote: Tue Sep 06, 2022 6:02 am well over a year since 5.0 was announced
The February 2019 Simplify3D News e-mail announces that V5 would be coming out later in 2019, so it's been well over 3 years since V5 was announced.

Return to “General Discussion and Tips”