rishab

Re: Will there ever be any updates?

Great! this is helpful, thanks for sharing.
RoboDLC

I got your suggested Superslicer slicer. Like Prusaslicer, I can't send a job to a printer, I have to save it to a media card or import the gcode and send it via CURA or S3D. Am I missing something?

Also, If I modify a printer/filament setting in the advanced or experts, how do I save my changes? UPDATE: Figured that one out.
Like Prusa slicer, you have to be an expert to be a beginner. :)
The interface is a little less confusing than Prusaslicer.

UPDATE 2: Not particularly impressed with the results, especially WRT supports. I think I'll stick to S3D and CURA.

be well,
DLC
D. Clark
Robotics and sensors engineer
And lots of other stuff for fun.
SimpleScott

gwhite wrote: Sun Dec 05, 2021 10:54 am I have spent a lot of time with PrusaSlicer, and SuperSlicer still uses the same organization of settings, which I do not like. For example, they have retraction as a printer setting, not a filament setting. If I change filament, I have to remember to go in & change that in the printer settings. That's just dumb.
Have you seen the section for "Filament Overrides"? PrusaSlicer lets you specify retraction settings for each specific filament. The defaults are specified for the printer, but you can specify overrides at the filament level. Look at the "Filament Overrides" section under Filament Settings. Not sure what version added that, but it's there in 2.4.0.
gwhite

Thanks! I'll look into it.
SimpleScott

gwhite wrote: Fri Jan 14, 2022 7:01 pm Thanks! I'll look into it.
This is actually an area where I used to struggle with S3D. Most settings can generally be classified as either a "printer setting" or "filament setting", but there are always exceptions. I really like the way PrusaSlicer is doing this now, with the defaults at the printer level and "overrides" at the filament level. Simplifies the profiles but provides a ton of flexibility.

I'd like to see something like that in S3d v5 (if we ever see an S3d v5). I liked the S3D UI, really *loved* the supports, and overall got good results with it. But having used PrusaSlicer more now and seeing all the work/improvement that's been done to it over the past couple years, I am missing S3D less and less.
Sinail

S3D-Jake wrote: Mon Nov 22, 2021 12:50 pm Can you be more specific? Are you asking if there will be a software update at all or are you asking for an update on the progress towards said software update? Either way you slice it, the answer is yes. :o

Version 5.0 is still under active development and testing. More information will be shared regarding the new features it offers as we get closer to finalizing the release date.
Hello S3D-Jake,

Is there an expected date for the release of version 5, a friend showed me version 4.2.1 but it lacks a lot of updates to reach the level of other slicers.

Cordially
davedelay

Back on Jan 11th of 2022 I asked the support email about print bed models and this was part of the reply
"We can assure you that we’re all working hard to release V5 as soon as possible. We have many customers that are also anxious for the new features. We will be sharing more details regarding timing and pricing as we get closer to the release date."

Still hoping. . .

Dave Bogenhagen
jaymcd

For the love of god please give us some real information instead of the vague non committal one. I bought a second copy of Simply3d a year ago thinking that V5 would be along shortly. I own two licenses and am generally very pleased with Simplify3d software but definitely could use some additional features so I don't have to flip between Cura/Prusaslicer and Simplify3d.
steuned

i'm here to 'beat the dead horse' on how this is one of many similar threads from recent years in which you can find an empty promise reply from S3D-whomever
criton01

Since its been almost 6 months since this thread was replied to, I guess it needs to be asked again.

1. when will S3d be doing its announcement of 5.0
2. What features are to be included in the 5.0 release
3. What is the pricing to be for upgrade from 4.1.2 to 5.0
4. When can we expect it to drop for download?

I realize this had been asked multiple times but its good to keep this on top of the thread and if anyone from S3d would reply that would be great.

Return to “General Discussion and Tips”