Todd_R

"Choose Start Point Closest to Specific Location" HOW?

How do you choose the position? I have no way to enter the X Y position
dkightley

Re: "Choose Start Point Closest to Specific Location" HOW?

Layer tab in Advanced FFF settings...Start Point...tick bottom button & enter X & Y valuses

The Xy coordinates wil need to be derived from how your machine's bed is set uo....
Doug Kightley
Volunteer at the National Tramway Museum http://www.tramway.co.uk
Railway modeller and webmaster at http://www.talkingtgauge.net
Todd_R

Well, yes. I got that far.
My question was how do I find the x,y coordinates? There is no way that I can find how to measure from 0,0 to the corner of the model where I want the start point to be.
gwhite

There may be a way to get a more accurate result, but it's usually not necessary. Most of the time you use this feature so the "seam" is parked at a corner where it won't show. The grid on my bed is marked off in 25 mm increments. Unless you need an absolutely precise location, you can estimate the coordinates of the appropriate corner closely enough from that. If you print from outside-to-in, it's going to start at the nearest point on the outside of the model. You just need the XY coordinates to be closer to the point you want than any other feature of the model.
dkightley

The xy coordinates are the coordinates of the bed of YOUR machine....and not anything to do wit the model. This majes giving an "easy" answer impossible....so you'll need to work the answer out yourself.

If you go to "preview" mode for a print, the XYZ gizmo ( the red/green/blue lins ) will show you where the zero coordinates are.

Turn on the Toolhead and step through the simulation. The x & Y cordinates of the toolhead are shown in the bottom left corner of the view. From this, you will be able to guess what xy values you will need for the settings......use the value that defines the extremity of your bed.
Doug Kightley
Volunteer at the National Tramway Museum http://www.tramway.co.uk
Railway modeller and webmaster at http://www.talkingtgauge.net
Todd_R

dkightley wrote: Sun Nov 21, 2021 7:16 am The xy coordinates are the coordinates of the bed of YOUR machine....and not anything to do wit the model. This majes giving an "easy" answer impossible....so you'll need to work the answer out yourself.

If you go to "preview" mode for a print, the XYZ gizmo ( the red/green/blue lins ) will show you where the zero coordinates are.

Turn on the Toolhead and step through the simulation. The x & Y cordinates of the toolhead are shown in the bottom left corner of the view. From this, you will be able to guess what xy values you will need for the settings......use the value that defines the extremity of your bed.
Yes, I know coordinates are for my machine and not the part (former CNC machinist and now an Engineer here).
Ok, using the toolhead in the preview should work. Thanks.

Seems like with that option, there should be a way to graphically select a point on the model. Maybe if they ever upgrade this software they'll do that?
zemlin

Todd_R wrote: Sun Nov 21, 2021 9:07 am Seems like with that option, there should be a way to graphically select a point on the model. Maybe if they ever upgrade this software they'll do that?
viewtopic.php?p=39704
parallyze

zemlin wrote: Sun Nov 21, 2021 10:36 pm
Todd_R wrote: Sun Nov 21, 2021 9:07 am Seems like with that option, there should be a way to graphically select a point on the model. Maybe if they ever upgrade this software they'll do that?
viewtopic.php?p=39704
viewtopic.php?p=56749#p56749

Whenever I need the exact position for the starting points I import a 20mm box, scale it to 1x1x200mm and move it using LMB + CTRL. It's a bit like the already inclued manual support placement...

Return to “General Discussion and Tips”