grue19

windows 10 file association

hello. i don't know if this is specifically simplify3d, but, at some point in the past i had associated .factory files with simplify3d and the thing i'm finding is, if i keep STL files (which are already associated with S3D) in the same folder as .factory files, the windows 10 "Type" column shows the exact same "Type" description. STL and .factory files are both Type = "3D Model File"

i did a bit of a work around and associated .factory files with a fake .exe file on my desktop, which erred as expected, however the good news is that the Type now = FACTORY File.

this allows me to sort my folder view by Type and more easily look for files in groups as it were.

ok - so is there a way to associate a .factory file with S3D such that the type is not "3d Model File"?
(see attached image for example now that i unassociated .factory)
click.jpg
thanks,
Steve
parallyze

Re: windows 10 file association

Hi,
grue19 wrote: Wed Apr 06, 2022 10:11 am i did a bit of a work around and associated .factory files with a fake .exe file on my desktop, which erred as expected, however the good news is that the Type now = FACTORY File.
depending on how you did the changes this may have caused differences between your current user profile and system default settings.
You can use "assoc" and "ftype" on the command line to check file associations, or dive into the registry directly. But before doing so this
free tool might be worth a try: http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/file_types_manager.html

bye,
Daniel

Return to “Troubleshooting and Bug Reports”