CVRIV

Please improve the workflow with sequential printing.

I use sequential printing with EVERYTHING, because it's just better in so many ways. I do a lot of large batch sequential prints where where i'm printing only one or two different items, but as many as I can place sequentially on my print bed. I need improved workflow to set up these print jobs.

First of all, I love S3D. I came from using CURA a long time ago and meant to go back, but never did.

The process for setting up sequential printing jobs SUCKS. Sometimes I only have one process that's needed to print everything and sometimes I have two or three, because It's its need to get the print done right. Having to click through all of those processes to select which model blows. If It turns out that I have to make a change to a process or even the model[s], I have to do it again!

#1: I should be able to just double-click on a model in the select model window and have that window just close. single click keeps the window open.

#2: Batch sequential printing. I shouldn't have to duplicate processes to print all my items. I should be able to create the processes needed to print all of the models correctly and that's it. Those processes would apply to all of the models for that print. The order of printing could be based on the order the models are in within the models windows, or you could setup something where the user could chose direction based on where the models are on the print bed example: left to right, front to back.

If I have two different models, or three, that I want to print sequentially, I should be able to create "batch sequential processes" and then select which models are associated with what.

Again, lets say I have 30 parts im printing, 15 of A and 15 of B. Part A needed 3 processes to print correctly and part B needs 2 processes. I should be able to create all of these processes, 3 for one batch, and 2 for the other batch, and then pick and choose which models are associated with which batch. The order of printing can be based on the order the parts are within the models window.

#3 A shortcut to rename models and processes right in their window list. F2 for example.

Sequential printing is super important. I strongly think that more effort should be spent to perfect sequential printing. Some people actually use it as a business. Time is money.
S3D-Jake

Re: Please improve the workflow with sequential printing.

I hear you on all points! Great feedback. I'll document your request for our devs to take a look!
"A bird does not sing because it has an answer. It sings because it has a song."
S3D-Jason

Re: Please improve the workflow with sequential printing.

For #2 - I wanted to mention the new Variable Settings Wizard in V5 makes it quite easy to group models into specific sequential process groups. For example, if you had 10 models but you wanted to print them in 3 groups, you would just go to Tools > Variable Settings Wizard, select that you want to use different settings for different models, change the number of groups to 3, and the drag and drop your models into the appropriate groups. Hopefully this makes things much easier than doing this manually in V4!

For #3 - I confirmed that V5 has new right-click context menus that make it very fast to rename a model or process. Just right click on the model and select the first item in the list to rename it.

Return to “Feature Requests”