ihor

Printing living hinge

Im trying to print a living hinge, and I want the filament to cross the hinge space without stopping.

right now, Simplify draws/fills both sides, and then puts in a short one line wide connector.

I'd like it to print the entire outline as a single line instead so the hinge is continuous
hinge.gif
in that spot.

Any ideas?
S3D-Jake

Re: Printing living hinge

Looks as if you're getting single extruded outlines generated for that area. If you change the external thin wall option to perimeters only does the hinge print as part of the object like you wished?
"A bird does not sing because it has an answer. It sings because it has a song."
ihor

Nope... Then its gone.

That thickness is one 0.4mm width, and its pretty long, so that it can bend in the right spot.

I can send you an STL to play with, or even an inventor model or step file... LMK if that would be helpful.
S3D-Jake

External single extrusions will get printed as their own "pass". So you would need to modify the width of the hinge in your model or change the extrusion width used in your extruder controller in order to force this area to get printed using "Perimeters Only" setting.
"A bird does not sing because it has an answer. It sings because it has a song."
JaffH

Usually the settings depend on the specific 3d printer https://43dprint.org/best-3d-printers-under-200/. Try to compel this region to print using the Perimeters Only setting, alter the hinge width in your model or change the extrusion width utilized in your extruder controller. The outside single extrusions will be 3D printed as separate "passes" this way.

Return to “General Discussion and Tips”