welshmank1

Unnecessary Extrusions Above Windows

Hey guys,

I have a print of a building with exterior windows and doors.
For some reason, the slicer is placing "wiggle" type extrusion below and above each window on the inside of the perimeter shell.
I know from the past that this increases the chances of a clog/stoppage with the extruder rapidly retracting.
I understand that if the indent of the window was large, this would be needed, but I specifically made it shallow for this reason so I can have 1 solid shell. In the attached image, I turned off infill so that the issue is more clear to see.

Does anybody have any advice of how I can manage to get rid of this? Or an alternative option that I can use back in the design to avoid? This will be a large print, roughly 2' x 2' all printed in one shot (hopefully). And there are a TON of windows involved, so I need to do everything I can to avoid a fail 20+ hours into it.

I appreciate any help!
Capture1.JPG
Capture2.JPG
parallyze

Re: Unnecessary Extrusions Above Windows

welshmank1 wrote: Tue May 24, 2022 12:46 pm I have a print of a building with exterior windows and doors.
It's hard to tell from the screenshot... but if the windows are far enough "inside" the slicer might
try to close the resulting gaps with bottom/top solid infill.

Please have a look at this picture, I tried to recreate what I can see on your picture:

A = 0.5mm, B = 0.35mm, C = 0.25mm:
solid_infill.JPG
"A" does get some infill on top. Setting bottom/top solid infill layers to 0 gets rid of that. Maybe a process
covering the z height where windows are located can be used to set those to 0 and another process
can take care of other areas where you might need them....

0 top/bottom solid infill layers:
solid_infill_2.JPG
Increasing the extrusion width slightly might also get rid of the infill lines.

Return to “General Discussion and Tips”