Instrumentation

Re: Trouble Above Supports

Brochel27 wrote:... and then i switched to a 0.4mm nozzle for a finer print ...
With the smaller nozzle, do you still have the same drooping issue? I'm starting to suspect that an issue with our printer is an undersized cooling duct; it does an awful lot better with the .4 nozzle than the .8 nozzle on the other print head, even when the bridge speed is slow and the fan is 100%.

Another side note. You don't need to make the entire outside "blue". That just indicates a certain group of print settings. Yellow bridges are totally fine, and show that the printer is doing something different for that. Green solid layers are fine if it's over good support, and it's good for checking extrusion.
LarryCox

That's a huge help; I'm not sure why it changed to 130 when I had the bridging multiplier set to 50% initially. I'll give it a shot, but I also want to know if there are any recommendations for printing the part. The part doesn't always print as a solid "blue" outlined part when I print it flat as opposed to when I print it at an angle. Not sure what is the best angle and position because previous prints have caused the part to appear to be floating off the build plate, and other prints have made it too challenging to remove the support. So, given that the bridging has been altered, what is the recommended horizontal, upper, lower, and layer height for this print?
teny0

Even though I've tried before and the thick supports have worked in the past even if they were challenging to remove, I'll attempt them again. I'm printing another print right now using the factory file that is included below. The major problem is that the print takes so long already, and even though I upgraded to a 0.4mm nozzle for a finer print, the print still took an absurdly long time—about 70 hours—on this small a nozzle.
tenii9

That portion won't contact the support until it sags quite a bit since the factory file still has a three layer support gap on a.27mm layer height. The filament won't fuse with the support as much if you have your bridges dialled in better, allowing you to move the support closer to the component.
tenii9

I'll try the thick supports again even though I've tried them previously and they've worked in the past, despite being difficult to remove. I'm now producing a second print using the factory file that is provided below. The main issue is that the print process already takes too long. Even after upgrading to a 0.4mm nozzle for a finer print, the print process on this small a nozzle still took a ridiculously lengthy time—roughly 70 hours.
tenii9

The portion won't contact the support until it sags quite a bit since the factory file still has a three layer support gap on a.27mm layer height. The filament won't fuse with the support as much if you have your bridges dialled in better, allowing you to move the support closer to the component.
Thomasengelmann

airscapes wrote: Mon Jul 25, 2022 11:25 am -upper vertical separation layers: 3
-lower vertical separation layers: 5

Change lower to 0 and upper to 1 and see if that helps.. Those numbers are the number lf layers to leave as space between the buildplate or part at the bottom and top of the support
I would also recommend this.
billyd

Read this it may help you for the model shown in this thread.

viewtopic.php?t=17063
tenii9

My usual rule of thumb is to thicken the layers if the supported build ties to the support are too tight. Reduce layer height if the construction on top of the support is disorganised. The only tool you have to make fine modifications to the support separation is changing the layer height since support separation can only be adjusted in increments of layer height.

Return to “Troubleshooting and Bug Reports”