gwhite

Does Anyone Understand the License Server System?

I am still using S3D because I have a lot of existing factory files, and occasionally I find that it will do certain print jobs better than the alternatives.

I need to get a new computer, and will install S3D on it. I know there are posts about how to migrate the license, but that got me to thinking about what happens if/when S3D finally implodes after failing to get Ver. 5 out for over 3 years, and the license server goes away.

I don't know if the software checks with the server periodically, or if it only does so when you initially get it up and running. If it's the latter, then as long as I get my new computer working before S3D's server goes away, I and all the other existing customers should be OK until they have to migrate to a new computer. If the software checks in with the server periodically, we are screwed once that time period elapses.

Does anyone understand the license system well enough to predict what will happen?

Thanks!
gwhite

Re: Does Anyone Understand the License Server System?

I was looking for info on how to migrate my license to a new computer, and found some info in the FAQ:

"Simplify3D requires an internet connection for the initial installation and for future use of the software, however, the program can be used temporarily without an internet connection such as when traveling or during a power outage. While these short-term outages won’t cause any issues, please keep in mind that the software cannot be installed on a computer that is permanently disconnected from the internet."

So, if S3D goes away and the server is taken down, it looks like we are screwed...
TomOH

Re: Does Anyone Understand the License Server System?

Better get a court order that guarantees access to the server. I am sure it is pure luck that the licenses still function.

Return to “General Discussion and Tips”