maker2

how to understand impact of speed settings on Build Time?

When I change the default printing speed or the X/Y movement speed in the settings, it doesn't actually improve the estimated Build Time. I think this is because Simplify3d doesn't know how fast my printer can accelerate (Klipper user, acceleration set to 10,000mm/s2). This is a bit annoying because I can't experiment with different tradeoffs in the Slicer.

What acceleration does S3d assume when calculating build times? Any suggestions as to estimating the impact of various speed changes?
S3D-Jason

Re: how to understand impact of speed settings on Build Time?

I did some tests on my end, and changing the default printing speed usually does have a quite noticeable affect on the estimated print time. The XY movement speed on the other hand is usually only a very small portion of the total time, so you may not notice a difference by changing that settings. Keep in mind that the size of the part could also matter. Small parts may spend so much time changing directions that the printer can never reach full speed.

In terms of acceleration, I believe V4 used a custom acceleration value that was determined based on testing to match popular machines. However, V5 now allows you to change both the acceleration and jerk parameters for your machine to fine tune the speed estimates. You can find both those settings on the Speeds tab of your process settings.
Igmus

S3D-Jason wrote: Wed Dec 14, 2022 12:42 pm I did some tests on my end, and changing the default printing speed usually does have a quite noticeable affect on the estimated print time. The XY movement speed on the other hand is usually only a very small portion of the total time, so you may not notice a difference by changing that settings. Keep in mind that the size of the part could also matter. Small parts may spend so much time changing directions that the printer can never reach full speed.

In terms of acceleration, I believe V4 used a custom acceleration value that was determined based on testing to match popular machines. However, V5 now allows you to change both the acceleration and jerk parameters for your machine to fine tune the speed estimates. You can find both those settings on the Speeds tab of your process settings.
Hey S3D-Jason these V5 acceleration and jerk parameters in the Time Estimation section in the Speeds tab. Do they ONLY help adjust the time estimation or do they also affect acceleration and jerk parameters of the printing? If not, where are the settings to adjust Acceleration and Jerk parameters? Are there slicer implemented ways to set the acceleration and jerk? I am getting a lot of ghosting and Makerbot makes it hard for us to just enter G-Code commands and adjust acceleration and jerk settings.

Normally I would search on google and find the M commands that do that but I run a Makerbot Z18 and they don't really accept M commands that I know of. If there is a way to send M commands please do enlighten me. I spent the better half of the day setting different acceleration on 6 different sections of a ghosting tower only to find that ghosting is still on every single layer.

Is there a way to enter the M204 and M203 into a script? I don't know the format of how to enter that into the script for Makerbot Z18.
M503 to find out the default settings?

I know slicers out there have settings to control acceleration and jerk but im not sure if s3d has one as well.
S3D-Jason

Yes, the acceleration and jerk settings are primarily for customizing the time estimates.

If you want to actually change the acceleration settings the machine is using, you can usually do that in the start script. However, I do not believe the Z18 has that capability. I don't think there are any ways to change the acceleration using a command in the build files. If you find otherwise, please let us know, but I'm not aware of it.
Igmus

S3D-Jason wrote: Thu Jan 19, 2023 2:11 pm Yes, the acceleration and jerk settings are primarily for customizing the time estimates.

If you want to actually change the acceleration settings the machine is using, you can usually do that in the start script. However, I do not believe the Z18 has that capability. I don't think there are any ways to change the acceleration using a command in the build files. If you find otherwise, please let us know, but I'm not aware of it.
S3D-Jason there seems to be acceleration and jerk controls in UltiMaker Cura which is the merged company that now owns Makerbot.

https://support.makerbot.com/s/article/1667411313568

Towards the bottom. As of Nov 8, 2022

I don't use Cura much so I don't really know how that works. I don't know what kind of commands are being sent to the machine.

Return to “General Discussion and Tips”