jfkansas

Re: All processes selected by default

zemlin wrote: Fri Dec 16, 2022 9:56 am
jfkansas wrote: Fri Dec 16, 2022 2:26 am It was inconvenient to have to select the processes all the time.
but you have the advantage of there being a single click to select all.
That is one more click than there is now. :-)
nerys

I also find this EXCEPTIONALLY annoying as I will often print "just one" process

Since the check box to show or not show an object does not work (you uncheck an object it STILL processes the object when you slice) now even that is gone.

but since I can print multiple SINGLE objects using a single process I have to use multi process. so I pick the one I want and slice it but now I have to perform TWO extra clicks. I have to click select none AND then select the process I want to slice.\

if people find auto select useful can it be a toggle we can select in settings?

it would also be nice to RETURN the ability to have that check box to show or not show a part "AND" have the slice command honor that check mark. so for example a rocket I designed is a complex vase mode model but I use exactly the same "settings" for each of the 3 components.

have the slice command ignore models "not shown" (ie unchecked) and then I won't even need to use multi process for those.
S3D-Jason

Funny enough, we actually had a lot of users complain in the past that they always had to press "Select All" every time they were slicing a part with multiple process (dual extrusion, variable settings wizard, etc).

It sounds like most of the people in this thread are storing their printer configurations as separate processes. Is there a way we could change the software so that you would be comfortable storing those files in the intended profile management system? For example, it sounds like one of the benefits of storing the configurations as processes is that you can export everything as a single file and then share it with a team member. Is that the main benefit? I wonder if we can just add a different way to share all of your profiles as a single file so that you could start using the standard profile management system. There's a lot of features you are missing out on in V5 if you store printer settings as processes instead of profiles.
Shaunuss

S3D-Jason wrote: Sat Dec 17, 2022 3:30 pm Funny enough, we actually had a lot of users complain in the past that they always had to press "Select All" every time they were slicing a part with multiple process (dual extrusion, variable settings wizard, etc).

It sounds like most of the people in this thread are storing their printer configurations as separate processes. Is there a way we could change the software so that you would be comfortable storing those files in the intended profile management system? For example, it sounds like one of the benefits of storing the configurations as processes is that you can export everything as a single file and then share it with a team member. Is that the main benefit? I wonder if we can just add a different way to share all of your profiles as a single file so that you could start using the standard profile management system. There's a lot of features you are missing out on in V5 if you store printer settings as processes instead of profiles.
I'm also annoyed by the auto selection of every process. This is highly annoying.

I use a process for each different type of filament I have. If I'm printing ASA, I choose the ASA process. I use the drop down box within that process to choose the printer I'm using (which also now no longer works, and doesn't resize the workspace to match the printer's build volume, but that's another story) tweak the settings based on the part I'm making, and hit prepare to print. I used to be able to slice a model in just two clicks, but now I have to faff around unselecting every process that for some bewildering reason, you guys chose to make highlighted by default.

It's frustrating, can you guys please change it back.
Last edited by Shaunuss on Sat Dec 17, 2022 7:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Derrick

S3D-Jason wrote: Sat Dec 17, 2022 3:30 pm Funny enough, we actually had a lot of users complain in the past that they always had to press "Select All" every time they were slicing a part with multiple process (dual extrusion, variable settings wizard, etc).

I don't think we are missing any features, and compared to the risk of slicing for the wrong printer or changing settings for the wrong printer, it just isn't worth it. I would be surprised if anyone who runs a print farm doesn't end up in the state of using factory files. Especially when some printers in the fleet use gcode to control some settings where the firmware controls it on others, like firmware retraction vs. not. We also have industrial printers like AON and Titan Robotics. And also especially when we have 10+ S3D licenses across 5+ users on many machines, some personal some shared. The way the processes are setup just doesn't work for us as we will make mistakes. And mistakes on the expensive equipment makes it not worth the risk at all.

I would be happy if there was simply an option to toggle between the way v4 was and the way v5 is now. But this is a pretty big red flag for us right now and I am hesitant to use v5 for production because of this simple issue.
S3D-Jason

Shaunuss wrote: Sat Dec 17, 2022 7:32 pm I use a process for each different type of filament I have. If I'm printing ASA, I choose the ASA process.

V5 makes it pretty easy to store all of your material settings within a single profile now. You can choose exactly which settings you want to be controlled my the material using the "..." button to the right of the Select Profile inputs, then select "Assign settings to categories". Then you can store all those settings within a single profile instead of having to use to many different processes.
jfkansas

I'm thinking a lot of users have built workflows that aren't in line with how S3D was meant to be used.

I only use factory files and generally name them with Modelname, filament type, layer height, etc. So a typical filename would be something like ModelNameNylon20 (where 20 just means .2mm and 24 would mean .24mm), and now any factory files saved in V5 just get V5 added to the end, everything else I know is V4. Later on if I have something similar to print I start with a previous factory file, do a save as, then import new model. Make any changes needed, save and print.... I consider my factory files as a previous successful print for a type of filament, otherwise I would discard it or fix it until it printed correctly.

The processes are intended for applying multiple processes to a model, not really for storing a bunch of different filament types. But you do you I guess.
KarlW1000

The way it was in V4 is best for me also. I'll design an assembly and export the parts. Each part is imported into my factory file and processes are given to each part (usually just one or two process per part). I use to be able to hide all parts I don't want to see on the build plate by selecting the checkboxes in the Models list, but those checkboxes have now vanished so all models are always visible. Beyond that, since I have multiple processes and just want to select the ones I want to print, I see no reason that the second 'select process' should even be there. I can select the process or processes using (CTRL) before I hit the Prepare to Print button. So instead of 'Prepare to Print' It should just say 'Print Selected' or 'Print All Processes'.
Karl
Nyles

jfkansas wrote: Sun Dec 18, 2022 11:59 pm I'm thinking a lot of users have built workflows that aren't in line with how S3D was meant to be used.

I.... But you do you I guess.
Interesting. Any clues on where this 'meant to be used' philosophy is laid out? I did my best with
the tool over the years; perhaps would have struggled less if I'd been able to access this information.

Cheers.
Shaunuss

S3D-Jason wrote: Sun Dec 18, 2022 2:20 pm
Shaunuss wrote: Sat Dec 17, 2022 7:32 pm I use a process for each different type of filament I have. If I'm printing ASA, I choose the ASA process.

V5 makes it pretty easy to store all of your material settings within a single profile now. You can choose exactly which settings you want to be controlled my the material using the "..." button to the right of the Select Profile inputs, then select "Assign settings to categories". Then you can store all those settings within a single profile instead of having to use to many different processes.
I really don't understand the logic of this system.

There's only one process I want to do with this, and that is "3d print".

Each filament I use has different settings, so it makes sense to me to be able to select that from the left after calibrating for it, then hit slice, and go print. If I stuck with the methodology you suggest, I would still be forced to unselect every process in the process list, if I had more than one process.

It's annoying and you guys should revert it to how it was before.

Oh and just to add, there is no "assign settings to categories" in that ... drop down box as you said.

Return to “Troubleshooting and Bug Reports”